Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'm about to buy a '09 SLK 350 - BUT - can't decide between 7G and Manual.

I want DOWNSHIFTING to be responsive - as per a normal Manual gearbox...

Do any of you OWNERS of one of these have any comments ??

Is Downshifting on the 7G "delayed" ? - :mad: - by a lot? - ?:confused:

Thanks

Niggle

·
Registered
SLK 350 facelift, palladium + gullwing red
67 Posts
Hi - although I'm still running in my 09 350 (1800 mls) it is very responsive in 7G form. It will kick down 2 or 3 gears quickly and really go. Using the paddles it's a bit more dependant on the speed you are going when you change down - there is sometimes a delay. But to be honest I hardly use the paddles and only used the buttons on my 05 350 on a race down an Alpine pass road with some motorbikes and they worked pretty well - I kept up with the bikes anyway! Go for the 7G its really good auto box.
Chris

·
Registered
03 M3, 06 SLK55
151 Posts
I am not sure if they have upgraded the 7G since I got my 2006 SLK55 but I find it horrible when it kicks down. It is very very slow in my opinion.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 55
27 Posts
I track my 55 frequently and absolutely love the 7 speed. If you're going for all out performance, use manual mode and keep it off the rev limiter. If you hit the limiter, the upshift will hesitate about a second. Other than that, all the shifts are immediate either up or down. I took this video in January at TWS. The capabilities of the transmission are evident. TWS on 19 Jan 08 run4 - Video
Every shift was when I wanted it. The pause on one upshift is me hitting the rev limiter.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
rb136 has a 55, though. The SLK 55 comes with SpeedShift, which quickens the shifts by 35%, taken directly from my 2005 sales brochure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
and THIS is the point: the SL55 has a SpeedShift ... I can't find a reference to it in the SLK literature.

What I don't want is to paddle-downshift, going downhill, and then wait a second for the gear to drop ...

THUS - I think a 6spd Manual transmission is the only answer for the SLK350 '09.

Which is fine - leaves more $$'s for the AMG body kit and assorted goodies !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts