Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife called me today after getting the car back from the dealer a few hours earlier. She was stranded in a not too good an area right before getting on the freeway only a couple miles from the dealer. Was just reving up and no forward movement. I had her hit the wench and they sent a tow truck. After driving for 8 hours already that day coming back from snowmobiling in Canada pulling a trailer. I did a u turn and headed an hour back north to go get her and my buddies, who was with me, Wife, Oh joy!!! Of course they sent regular wrecker nd not a flat bad as she requested. I got there before the tow and checked the tranny. If I switched between S/C I could get either a forward gear or reverse. The paddle shifters and the manual selector did nothing. You could actually feel the tranny drop into gear when you selected
D but it would just rev up. Not a good sign with only 889 miles. Any other tranny issues out there on this new 7 speed? I said I would never own a Chrysler with an auto (Have 04.5 Dodge Cummins with a 6 speed), Kinda looking like I do. Hope it is just a bad module or computer and not the whole tranny. Or they already have seen the problem. I will keep everyone posted.

PS. Was at the dealer for a detail(Didn't Do a good job the first time/Lack Of time- Was raining and offered deatail at later date-cool by me, New tire and Rim(Damaged before delivery) Sales manager tried to just have it fixed after they told us the were ordering a new rim! Wife called up set. In Candada left a blistering message stating I had never even driven that car and only they had. And if it looked so good after getting fixed they could swap it with another car and have nothing to worry about. I didn't want a brand new car with a dinged rim. I know I would see the repair everytime I washed it and be pissed. They said they would replace it so replace it. Was I at a MB dealer ship or Ted's Used cars. Passanger Seat recline required too much effort to use. No adjustment available thats how they are. Did get to test it back in the shop too fast. And they fixed the poor alignment of the hood on the passangers side with the fender.

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
I have 7G gearbox / 27k km on my techo without any problem.. very comfortable

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
4k miles on mine and no problems. The 7G is rated to run continuously with up to 700hp of stress, so it's not a 'weak' gear box in anyway. You might however have a defective part which can happen [:(]

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
xJagman - 4/16/2005 9:44 PM

"I had her hit the wench and they sent a tow truck."

(Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Hope you can get it all sorted so the car is good as new again.)

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
4k Miles on my 7G and no problems. However, I do feel that in S - Standard mode the gear timing is not so hot while moving. From 0-60 is shifts great, but a sudden punch 35-60 has a real delay in any downshift, even if I manually press the accelerator all the way.

Anyway, still having fun. Played with an SL55 and stuck on his tail lights. He was very surprised that the little SLK could keep up. I don't think he has the nerve to really push his car, or he would be a true second ahead of me.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
RE: Break in of my new SLK 350

Recommended Break In Procedure= Drive it like you stole it.

I have broken in plenty on engines and I have always subscribed to the school of "Break It in like you plan to drive it". Always worked for me. Plus if somethings weak or not right I want to know early in the game.
xjagman posted this a week ago. Perhaps this was not the best advise after all??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wifes been driving it and not me and see what happens. They are replacing the valve body and possibly the control module. Of course when they
started it up Monday morning everything was working fine. There were several codes in the computer which they had to check out. They said the have a brand new machine that they use just for this new tranny.
The got MB involved also because of the low miles on the tranny and they want to know anything that may me happening. I might get it back today.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
xJagman - 4/19/2005 12:08 PM

Wifes been driving it and not me and see what happens. They are replacing the valve body and possibly the control module. Of course when they
started it up Monday morning everything was working fine. There were several codes in the computer which they had to check out. They said the have a brand new machine that they use just for this new tranny.
The got MB involved also because of the low miles on the tranny and they want to know anything that may me happening. I might get it back today.
while they are at it ask them if they can make these things shift faster. Not the time it takes to shift the gears (thats fast) but the time lag from input to shift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts