Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 7G tranny in the SLK350 the same one that is is the SLK55? I am wondering if the 350 version can be reprogramed to shift as fast and have the downshifts as the 55 version.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I think it's pretty much the same thing. Easier to develop one product and use it in a large line of cars, even if it means that it's 'over engineered' for the cheaper models and they don't really need it.

I think you might be more interested in having the ECU or similar (that controls the gearbox shifting) reprogrammed, rather then changing any physical gears themselves [:)]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I was not thinking of changing anything physical. The ECU that controls the tranny is more like it.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
It seems that in Oz the 350 7G W/AMG comes with the manual selection. One thing for sure is the 7G or any other slush box will not come close to shifting on demand like a manual. If you can software upgrade at no cost using Star I would be all for it, but it would not be worth paying for.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Julien - 3/15/2005 11:42 AM

It seems that in Oz the 350 7G W/AMG comes with the manual selection. One thing for sure is the 7G or any other slush box will not come close to shifting on demand like a manual. If you can software upgrade at no cost using Star I would be all for it, but it would not be worth paying for.
Do you think of the BMW SMG as a "slush box"? How about a F1?

I do agree I would not pay (much) for it. Maybe some SLK55 owners can give us an idea of how much faster their 7Gs shift.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Snowball - 3/15/2005 12:48 PM

Do you think of the BMW SMG as a "slush box"? How about a F1?
Those are clutchless manuals, not true autos.

Snowball - 3/15/2005 12:48 PM
I do agree I would not pay (much) for it. Maybe some SLK55 owners can give us an idea of how much faster their 7Gs shift.
Unless they have driven a 350 7G w/AMG flat out right after or before driving their 55 how would they know? MB says 35% faster shifts which would still be too sloooooow. At almost a second to shift it would need to be 80% or more faster to be competitive.

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
SLK350 7G have different gearbox than SLK55 AMG... already check this [xx(]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
it seems any kind of manual shifting with any mercedes benz automatic whether AMG or not, via steering wheel buttons or not, is completely and utterly useless. Not because the shifting is slow but because the lag between driver input upon pressing the button or moving the gear lever and the actual gear shift is inexcusable. The lag is almost a full second and sometimes it is over a second. It sucks. There's no real performance benefit other than downshifting in a road course at the end of straight to brake hard for a turn. It's a gadgety gimmick so that owners can say they can "shift manually" when in reality the manual mode is as pointless a feature as our US-spec glove box with the optional CD-changer taking residence.

That said, I fully expected this before buying the car after having driven other AMG cars with manual modes and had no intention of ever driving it in anything other than C or S full-auto mode. For all practical purposes and as far as I'm concerned this car is strictly an auto. However, everytime I am reminded that the manual mode exists, it does irk me just a little bit that MB didn't offer a better implementation especially on the AMG version.

Otherwise, I love this car.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tend to agree with "masmole". The lag is way too long. Why? There is not need for it. The only time I use the manual mode is to hold a gear going around a corner from a stop light and don't want the lag for down shifting as I exit teh corner.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The lag varies greatly depending on the revs. Sometimes it changes in half a second, otherwise it takes over a second. It's good if you want to keep revs higher (I'd rather use it then with the shift stick), but it's not a true F1 style implementation.

The SLR is supposed to have a much more improved (even if it's ssimilar) gearbox in that it does a lot quicker. I'd like to test that out...

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It can shift quickly. If I get on it from a stoplight it shifts very fast in full auto (sport)mode. Much faster than the average person can shift a manual.

·
Registered
SLK 350 - 7G
7 Posts
RE: 7G vs. 7G? - HELP !!

Today is my first day on a SLK 350, ok, the car is perfect, but...

I just discover that I don't have "M" mode in my 7G-Tronic [:(!] , there is only "C" and "S" modes.

I can select 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 but this only limits the higuer gear, in other words, I can decide when I want to shift to a lower gear, but I cannot decide when I want to go to a higher gear -the program C or S is deciding for me-

Somebody can help me?

Is there a posibility to activate de "M" mode ?

I'm using an automatic gear-box on a Saab after 3 years -with manual mode, of course- and I think 7G is much better than the Saab one, but I need the possibility to enjoy a manual-like gearbox in a sportif car as this one.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
SMG is not an automatic transmission, it's an automatically-shifted gearbox. Very much a different animal.

(And the SMG on the Z4 is notoriously troublesome, so even the SMG isn't always right.)

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
So far, I agree with masmole on the manual mode ... it's good for holding a gear for a turn, but the auto even downshifts nearly well there.

Under hard accel, as far as I can tell, it shifts much faster on its own than manually.

Of course, I've only got 250 miles on it so far, so I haven't completely worked it over.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Julien - 3/16/2005 3:26 AM
Those are clutchless manuals, not true autos.
There is no such thing as a clutchless gearbox - it would never be able to engage or disengage a gear if it had no clutch. F1s have clutches - just no pedal. The clutch is operated with hydraulics.

By the way, the 'slushbox' time 0-100 (0-62) is a tenth of a second FASTER than the manual.

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
I think the M mode on the 350 depends on where you are in the world - I have the M option on my 350 I picked up yesterday.

I was not expecting it to be there so was surprised myself.

Not tried it yet though still in C mode.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
Snowball - 3/16/2005 1:39 AM

Is the 7G tranny in the SLK350 the same one that is is the SLK55? I am wondering if the 350 version can be reprogramed to shift as fast and have the downshifts as the 55 version.
I think you are referring to the AMG software activation called "SPEED SHIFT".

It lives in the transmission control unit and interlinks with the engine control unit. It is also a function found in the ignition switch software under the diagnostic coding.

Hardware doesnt change so much but as you can imagine - the software is tuned for engine and performance options.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
Julien - 3/16/2005 2:42 AM

It is a release code called SCN and it is datacard dependent. So unless you pre-order from the factory then I dont think you can get a valid release code for the option. Im not saying it cant be done. If you want to do it with STAR DIAGNOSTIC then you will need the text string that releases that option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts