Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 Black
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to post my experience after taking my car for a mountain drive.
Handling:
This little car has great handling it is really close to the region of Mazda Miata in terms of body roll and lean during hard cornering. It is no where as light, but for a MB, this car is a great handler.
Power:
There is power every where, the engine is willing to rev and revs quickly. I did not take it close to redline because the road was very wet(I was driving in the rain). I did not want to kill myself, so I tried to tune down a bit.
Transmission:
I am dissapointed with how the transmission responses. It is very slow in my opinion. My C230 coupe with 5 speed actually has faster reaction time. I tried to down shift manually by holding the lever to the left(for the car to select the best gear) and by the time I am in the middle of the turn the transmission finally decide what gear to use. Which is very bad because it upsets the balance of the power, for twice it almost made my car spin out!

I then tried to tip the lever to the left quickly for two gear down shift, it is a bit faster, but after I exit the corner and tried to accererate(again trying not to do it too fast due to wet road) and up shift manually, the car will not up shift even after I tipping the lever to the right.(it only up shift when it wants to)

I tried again by leaving the gear in auto and not messing with it at all. The result is still not as good as I expected, it does not give enought power for exit because the car is in such a high gear(not sure exactly, but 5-7) when entering the corner when you exit it does not have a linear power delivery to pull you out, it has to down shift(again which takes forever and upset the balance).

My conclusing for the SLK 350 7G is that it has way too many gears to play with and performance is actually compromised. The 7G does with keeping the MPG low, but when it come to choosing the perfect gear for cornering it is no where near my GTI 6speed.

I am curious now. Has any of you SLK 6speed drivers tried to take your car for some spirited drive. I can only imagine that it like a combination of great power and great delivery.

But I love the SLK 350 regardless, besides it is "suppose" to be my wife's car.

just my 2cents.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
43 Posts
Although the SLK 350 is my wife's car,(luckily for me she likes the MT),I've driven it quite aggressively on winding roads(without ice & snow) on several occasions. The 6spd. manual is very smooth & has a short throw. It's easy to blip and match revs. so downshifting is flawless(with a little practice of course). You're correct, the combo. of power and control the 6spd. gives the car, makes for a great ride.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I want to hear from some more 7 G drivers as I am finding the car starts off very slowly and does not change gears quickly. I am beginning to wish i had purchased the MT[:(] This is my first automatic...I have always had a manual and miss the get-up-and-go and the control.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Duo-Art - 2/25/2005 12:18 PM

malibuite, do you have the transmission selector in the C or the S mode?
When I drove home from the dealer last week it was in "S" but I was told to move it to "C" for the first 1000 miles (I now have 20 miles on it). Even in the "S" mode it still seemed to start off slow from a complete stop.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I only have 575 miles on my 6MT so I have not pushed it. The MT is great, in my view. I only drove the 7G at the dealer for about 25 minutes, but did not feel that the 7G was slow to shift in C mode.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I have around 600 miles on my car. I find that it takes off very quickly in the S mode. In the C mode it eases away from a stop but it still has resonable pick up.

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
The 6 MT seems to be about average for those I've driven. The feel isn't as good as my BMW, but better than my Porsche and about the same as my two recent Audis.

What I don't like about it are the ratios. Six speeds seem to be de rigeur nowadays on higher-priced cars. But with the super-wide torque band of the SLK350 I think they would have been better off with a 5 speed. Particularly since few people are going to drive these on the track much. The ratios are fine in 3-6 but 1 is way too low and 2 is, too. If they had a five speed I'd be happier. I frequently start in 2.

For those of you who might think I'm being a luddite consider that I think my Porsche should have a six speed as it has a narrower torque band, I drive it on the track and it could use more choices to get the right ratio for any given turn.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
My 7G seems to really accellerate very well and I always drive in C mode. Haven't tried S mode yet. Soon, though. I have 1300 miles on it now.

Roberta[:)][:)]

·
Registered
SLK 27/Jan/2005
102 Posts
Guys... have you all watched the January edition of Best Motoring Japan? Remember the post where the SLK 350wins the Boxster S in a drag race? well i bought the VCD and there was a 5-lap race around Tsukuba track in Japan. There were 6 cars, mainly: M3, NSX Type S, SLK 350, Boxster S, Audi TT 3.2 DSC, 350Z Fairlady.

It was quite exciting and the SLK really shoots out during the start, being the 1st for the first 2 laps. I was really very happy till this point. After which, the M3 and NSX S took over. The reasons given by the race track drivers was that the M3 has too much power and really takes advantage of the straights. The NSX S handling is too good, given more power it would definitely overtake the M3. Basically these 2 cars were leading all the way for the rest of the race, leaving the SLK in 3rd, boxster in 4th, 350Z in 5th and the TT no where to be seen. hahaha.. well hope I didn't offend any drivers of the other makes but I'm just telling the truth. By e way there was no BMW Z4... wonder why...

Hope everyone's enjoying the car!

Jon

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
So that means the 55 would kick some serious booty.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
malibuite - 2/26/2005 8:13 PM

I want to hear from some more 7 G drivers as I am finding the car starts off very slowly and does not change gears quickly. I am beginning to wish i had purchased the MT[:(] This is my first automatic...I have always had a manual and miss the get-up-and-go and the control.
I have the 7G gearbox and have no issues with it - as long as you understand its capabilities.

It is an automatic plain and simple. The pseudo flappy paddle gear levers are a waste of space. They are not responsive enough for anything at all - plain and simple.

If you want a manual then go get a manual!

The 7G gearbox is supposed to help with fuel economy. However I found that using S mode in very slow moving traffic does not do this. Why? Well it spends most of its damned time changing between 1-3 and I mean a lot of time.

So, to help combat this I keep it in C while in slow moving traffic. It keeps the gear changes smooth and always pulls away in second. It seems to like this more.

For my usual driving around it is always in S. I have yet to find a situation when the car doesn't do what I tell it to do in terms of performance. Sometimes the kick down can take a second to actually do something but once it kicks in the car takes off.

Just leave M alone [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
I always drive in "s" and my 350 moves like a beast.

HOWETHER, with the cold weather recently, it has become super slow....

The reason is the traction control. When i turn it off it just spins around stupidly,

I think this could be the answer to the original post. [:eek:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
If you order the AMG Sport Package on the SLK350, it comes with an M position and steering wheel mounted shift buttons (automatic transmission version only of course).

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
I have M-mode in my car, it's helps when you are in race track.. [8D]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Duo-Art - 2/28/2005 10:01 AM

If you order the AMG Sport Package on the SLK350, it comes with an M position and steering wheel mounted shift buttons (automatic transmission version only of course).
The US 350 w/AMG and 7G doesn't come with M mode (not sure about other markets). It is only available on the 55.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
malibuite - 2/28/2005 2:57 PM

dbslk - 2/27/2005 12:55 AM

malibuite - 2/26/2005 8:13 PM

Just leave M alone [:)]
What "M"? I thought only the 55 had an "M" mode.
I have a 350 with manual option. I don't have any of the AMG packages either. God knows which option this came with as Europe seems to have a plethora of them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts