Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this great car about 3 weeks ago. It is/was driving just fine -starting stopping etc., until a few days (5-6) ago when it started having a difficult time starting. On the first occasion it started on the second try. The next time, it started, I drove it, got into it, and it took 3 attempts before it started. THEN, it just plain wouldnt start. The previous owner had given me some stuff to shoot into the air filter area and this seems to get it started. BUT I DONT THINK THIS IS A GOOD THING TO DO.. so, I'm checking the glow plugs -but they LOOK very very clean and new (I'll still check them all). I also want to check the glow plug fuse but do not have a book and do not know where it is found (book has been ordered but I need the car a bit more reliable, NOW). FINALLY, when the car is running -its running at idle while I write this- there is faint, yet clearly there, white smoke coming from the tailpipe. I did not notice this before. WHEN I first start the car -now that its having a hard time starting- there is generally a POOOF of white smoke that leaves cover for any ambush.
HELP please.. this is my first old BENZ. I've played with old Porsches and VWs but never a Benz. I'm "moving up!". -San Diego

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts