Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300d with 177,000 miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 1979 300d in great shape with 177,000 miles i mean even the clock works and i have all the records, even the original window sticker i did tons of work to it but still have some issues 1)engine smokes alot at start up when cold and i have adjusted the valves,has a slight shake to it at idle. 2) when i push the throttle i hear a ticking like injectors is that normal on these cars.3) transmission shifts late and hard almost like it has a shifter kit like a hot rod how do i adjust it thank you all in advance i have worked on many imports in the past but never a mb diesel thanks again jon

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The ticking and smoke is probably related to the injectors. When was the last time you had them checked for spray pattern and opening pressure?

The transmission is controlled by the control rod from the gas linkage. That needs to be adjusted properly, it is in the FSM:
30 Accelerator Control - OM617
30-300.1
And if the transmission oil & filter hasn't been changed for a while (needs to be changed every 30,000 miles), do that first.

·
Registered
1979 300d with 177,000 miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
injectors

i have never had the injectors checked i have only owned the car for a few months should i just change them and if so wheres a good place to get them thanks jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts