Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240D 335k; 2003 TDI 115k
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new owner of a '79 240D. I know the car is seriously under powered (my chainsaw has more power) but it is unable to maintain speed climbing the smallest of hills.

I've swapped out the fuel filters (they were nasty) and that help'd a little bit it is still far from 'drivable'

possibly related...
Pushing the red 'STOP' level under the hood does NOT stop the engine (it does cause it to stumble a bit). applying sufficient vacuum to the brown line on the firewall side of the injection pump will stop the engine (and the key works just fine to... no stumbling no nothing)

probably not related...
There are some oil leaks on the engine (looks like the valve cover gasket is shot) and the radiator is leaking a little (looks wet in a couple spots)

I have not been able to find vacuum diagrams nor a repair manual for this beast direction to those or to how to trouble shoot the serious lack of power would be appreciated... (I have tried searching the forums with no success yet...)

thanks

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
Hi and welcome :)
Your air filter could be clogged with dirt..
If you don't know the cars history; do an oil change, new air-filter, check valve lash/ valve clearance.
Manuals can easily be found, where in the world are you located?
Yes the 240 is slow, but once on the move you'r OK :-D

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
Do what MBcomfort says, If it doesn't improve you may need to clean the injectors. Also if possible drive down the hills instead of up them. :thumbsup:

BTW do you have a 4 speed standard/manual or automatic transmission. could be clutch or tranny problem

·
Registered
1979 240D 335k; 2003 TDI 115k
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome :)
Your air filter could be clogged with dirt..
If you don't know the cars history; do an oil change, new air-filter, check valve lash/ valve clearance.
Manuals can easily be found, where in the world are you located?
Yes the 240 is slow, but once on the move you'r OK :-D
Air filter has been changed (it didn't look bad, and was NOT soaked in oil but they are cheap... so I changed it;)

The car has been sitting for approx 1 year. When parked it had this 'performance' problem... (previous owner not available unfortunately).

I have the oil filter, anything special regarding the oil I put in it?
Is the Rotella-T 5w40 I run in my 03 TDI acceptable?

How do I check the valve lash and clearance ?

Oh, I'm in VT (we have hills here, but due to recent legislation they are paired.... one up for each down... I've tried driving to work only going down hill... and I'm up to about 50% of the time...)

-Ben

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
You need to do the following:

1. Diesel purge to clean the injectors. Get a bottle of Lubro Moly - it does wonders for neglected old diesels.

2. Valve adjustment

3. engine compression test

1 - 6 of 6 Posts