Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1977 Mercedes-benz 280se
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I need some advice or suggestions. I have a 77 280se and the fuel tank was completely shot. Can I get rid of the original fuel system and put a tank with an in tank pump on instead?

· Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
21,880 Posts
Welcome. I'm not an expert but I'd say that'd be difficult. I suppose if you could guarantee the original fuel pressures?

I had this same car once when I was about 16. (Poor car, it suffered.) The fuel pump went so we used one from a different car, it never ran right after that.

· Registered
1977 Mercedes-benz 280se
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difficult part is finding a replacement tank. I can get the pump and filter. The old one was beyond repair. The whole topside was rusted out and collapsed. The cars in good shape so it'd be a shame to not get running again.

· Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
21,880 Posts
These are beautiful cars, it would definitely be a shame. Going to be difficult to find a spare used tank isn't it. Although, a few threads down from this one I remember a spares car being advertised?

There does seem to be quite a number of these cars in the US but they're often diesel aren't they.

· Registered
50 years of MB
5,346 Posts

· Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
21,880 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.