Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought this car back in may and I had to replace the alternator in it then. Since then the car has ran great with no problems about three weeks ago the battery stopped charging. I had the alternator and battery checked by my parts store and they said that both are good and should be working fine. I just cant figure this one out?

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Ok so I bought this car back in may and I had to replace the alternator in it then. Since then the car has ran great with no problems about three weeks ago the battery stopped charging. I had the alternator and battery checked by my parts store and they said that both are good and should be working fine. I just cant figure this one out?
Suppose you have perfectly good toaster and a perfectly good power outlet. The toaster is plugged in, but is not getting any juice. What would you suspect?

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
I was cautioned by a guy that rebuilt my alternator to check the green wire to the alternator from the ignition switch. European electrical systems of that era use a (usually green) wire from the switch to the alternator that provides power to the winding of the alternator (via some circuitry inside the alt.) If that wire is not getting power, the alt will not put out any voltage/current.

if there isn't any voltage on that wire when the key is in the "run" position, then you would need to troubleshoot that. The culprit may be the ignition switch itself, which is in 3 parts. The lock/core, the steering wheel immobilizer assembly, and the switch itself. the switch is available as a seperate part, and changing it on anything other than a 107 won't endanger your sanity. (Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt. And the scars.)

Just a suggestion,
scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts