Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W123 240D
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1977 240D (excellent condition w no problems) but 3 days ago I left my lights on overnight and drained the battery. Next morning my neighbor attempted a jump start but hooked it up wrong. Within 20 seconds a curl of smoke from the jumper cable and he unhooked it fast.

Another neighbor with more experience and a jumper unit started it for me and all seemed to be functioning OK. I drove it to work for 2 days, seemingly with no problems. 3rd day - after light rain I turned the windshield wiper on. They moved half a rotation and stopped. Checked the fuses. . no blown fuses.

Now they do not respond in any way when I use the wiper control but when I start the car the wipers move a little bit (1/4 inch) and then lay back down to off position.

It's the weekend and Monday I will need to take it for repair. Could someone give me a clue aboout what to expect before a mechanic tries to give me an over-priced quote on fixing things that may not even be necessary?

Would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Can you tell if the motor is working?
If it is, you may have a linkage problem. To check, you'll need to remove the grilles near the wiper blades, to gain access to a couple of screws, and pop out the four plastic rivets that also hold on that metal plate.

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Neighbours everyone needs good neighbours

My thoughts are did the friendly neighbour touch or earth against the wiper mechanism or someting stupid like that...? Perhaps the wiper motor has burned - jump starting is not good at the best of times, especially not good when you do it wrong...!! Take the vents off aas rmac58 suggests, and check the wiper motor, Martyn.

·
Registered
1977 W123 240D
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it might be an electrical problem because the wipers move a little bit when I start the car, which it never did before. The wipers move about 1/4 inch and stay there until I turn off the ignition. Then they move back that 1/4 inch to their normal off position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts