Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the GP on my 204D two days ago and fully charged my batteries. The light will not come on and the plugs do not cycle on either. I have tested the relay and got the same results as Diesel Giant gets on his example on line. Do I need a new relay or do I have some other issue?
Thanks
Conor

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
What kind of glow plugs where in the engine and with what did you replace them? What I want to know is whether the glow plugs are still original loop style or are they newer pencil type?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the loop. The ones i pulled out i belive were the originals and they were bosch loop. The ones i put in were autolite loop. ( i did test them before putting them in.)

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
Did you clean the glow plug holes well? Did you get all the jumpers and insulators on correctly?

You can use a voltmeter along the series chain to measure the voltage drops to see if any are draining to ground, but first make sure it has full voltage at the hot end.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use a voltmeter along the series chain to measure the voltage drops to see if any are draining to ground, but first make sure it has full voltage at the hot end.
I did use my multimeter and got full voltage. Th plugs get hot but the car just cranks and cranks without actually starting. Is there a possibility that my fuel is frozen or that there could be a small amount of water in the line that could be frozen and causing a block? Also I noticed a fuel heater thing for diesels at Autozone that is in a bottle. Would that help?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm having issues with my '78 240D glow plug light (not lit, no starty). I'm going to replace the strip fuse, but where is the relay? This car is set up different from the Dieselgiant glowplug troubleshooting webpage. It has the stip fuse on the firewall, not the inner fender and I did not see a relay. The car is stuck at my girlfriends, outside in the snow, so I haven't spent too much time looking at it. Why doesn't this stuff happen in the summer? Any help = big thx!...

PS - sorry to hijack :)

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
Okay, we need more information in order to help. Was the engine running fine before it was parked? What is the temperature while you're trying to start it? What was the temperature the last time the car started okay? Did you clean the bores well while the plugs were out? Is it dropping roughly 3 volts across each plug?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having issues with my '78 240D glow plug light (not lit, no starty). I'm going to replace the strip fuse, but where is the relay? This car is set up different from the Dieselgiant glowplug troubleshooting webpage. It has the stip fuse on the firewall, not the inner fender and I did not see a relay. The car is stuck at my girlfriends, outside in the snow, so I haven't spent too much time looking at it. Why doesn't this stuff happen in the summer? Any help = big thx!...

PS - sorry to hijack :)
Follow the wire from the fuse to a box located closer to your windshield and that is the relay.

Okay, we need more information in order to help. Was the engine running fine before it was parked? What is the temperature while you're trying to start it? What was the temperature the last time the car started okay? Did you clean the bores well while the plugs were out? Is it dropping roughly 3 volts across each plug?
It was running fine before it was parked. From Aprill to September it ran perfectly (the car sat since '96 till April). The temp is 40 degrees to -11 degress. Last time it started ok it was 60 degrees. I did not clean the bores. Yes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts