Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to adjust the valve clearance, it is way to tight there is no gap, and there are marks on the bottom of the cam lobes where it rubs the rocker arm, compression is way low, I think valves are sticking open.

I can't seem to turn the adjust screws. Could this mean they have been adjusted as far as they can go?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not use the special tool, I've seen a bunch of videos where people used regular spanner wrenches.

I just fabricated my own version of the special tool out of a normal deep socket, so I'm going to try that.

I was able to turn one or two of the screws counter clockwise which makes the clearance smaller, but not able to tighten them down and allow any space between the camshaft and rocker arm.

Do i need to loosen the lower nut in order to turn them? I've heard its like a set screw, but I can't seem to move the lower nut at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for illustrating that for me,

So basically what I need is a little elbow grease and the special tool that allows me to get better leverage from above the engine compartment without having to reach in between all the obstacles that obstruct my spanner wrench?

Could it be the case that my engine has been tuned enough times that number 63 is not going to thread down any further?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The special tool (MB W110589000100 - Hazet 2768-1) makes it easier, but I suppose it can be done with a normal wrench.

The valve seats will wear out over time, causing the valve to rest higher and higher. In the end, you cannot adjust the valves anymore. Then it is time for a engine-head job (new valve seats mainly). If you want to buy time, you can replace the thrust piece nr. 60 for a thinner one, so you have some clearance again. This will not change the fact that the valve is deep-seated, causing bad aspiration for the engine. The MB dealer sells different sized thrust pieces.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy time is exactly what I'm going to have to do because I seem to be unable to find parts for this engine, not even a head gasket. Thanks for explaining it to me, I understand much better whats going on with it now.

Do you know where I could find a gasket set? Even the places that say they have it are out of stock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every time the valve closes it pulls back into the valve seat, over time the valve seat gets worn down and the spring forces the valve further and further up, reducing the space between the rocker arm and camshaft.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The head gasket seems to be available from MB, part number A1150163720 or A1150163920. That is just the head gasket. Depending on what else you want to replace you can order other parts too.

The thrust pieces can be bought from MB too:
A1300530353 for 4.5 mm
A1300530453 for 3.5 mm
A1300530553 for 2.5 mm

You can replace those pieces without removing the head, although you need some special tools. See the FSM:

Model 123 - M115 Maintenance Manuals
Section 5.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thanks again, I have that link to the FSM, sometimes I just need to make sure it says what I think it says. I have my local MB dealer finding those parts for me right now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made this valve adjust wrench yesterday, it works perfectly. The special tool seems to be ridiculously expensive, so I decided to make my own. Anyone who is interested in having one of these let me know, they are really cheap to make and I will give them a lifetime guarantee. I can make them any size wrench. This one is kind of a rough draft but it is an extremely effective tool.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts