Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference between the early/late choices of distibutor caps for my 1976 450SLC? The selection is based on engine serial number and mine appears to have a factory replacement block (no serial number.) At least, I can't find anything stamped on the L/R side of the enigne block.<br> <br> The electrodes in my dist. cap are wearing at the very bottom edge of the metal. That makes me suspect that the correct cap will have longer contacts or sit a bit lower on the distributor assembly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have the correct cap for your car for $52. Whoever told you there is more than one choice dosen't know Mercedes very well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron - I wish you were correct but even the MB dealer says there are two Bosch part numbers that can fit. You might be correct that an aftermarket cap (ie. Beck-Arnley or some other) will fit both but I would like to get the exact match.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to take a dealer's word over mine that's your choice. BTW, we've been selling Mercedes parts for 25 years and don't sell the kind of garbage you're referring to. There is ONE BOSCH CAP THAT FITS YOUR CAR -- no confusion about it...1976 was the first year for CIS injection and thus the first year for the later distributer cap. 1975 was the last year for EFI injection and the earlier cap. If you want correct parts, try dealing with people that sell PARTS for a living -- not CARS.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now come on, I understand that Australia is a long way away, but.<br> <br> Twice I sent you an inquirey, about CD service and parts manual's, for delivery into Chicago, but I recieved no reply.<br> <br> However do not feel too bad, because Clair parts on another matter, twice ignored my inquirey.<br> <br> I until I retired had spent 42 years in the parts business, and every bit of inquirey you get, will often lead to more customers.<br> <br> It would have been no big deal to say sorry, we cannot help.<br> <br> In your case I was able to buy hard copy, through Voss Motors.<br> <br> Regards<br> <br> Col<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We never received the request sir. We would have had no problem shipping to either Chicago or Australia, and would have certainly responded.<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts