Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bringing the ML in for 75,000 service. I haven't done much but change the oil. I have heard of some people changing shocks at this mileage, also changing the fuel filter, transmission fluid, what do you guys recommend I guess I wouldnt want to spend more than 1500.00 this time around. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
I would do all fluids anfd filters ... the rest should be fine. 75,000 miles is still VERY young for other parts to go bad, unless you beat on her.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I'm getting the transmission fluid changed (even though my SA says it never needs to be changed) transfer case, front and rear axle, fuel filter and plugs. Anyone know what the damage might be around 1500?

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
pize98 - 3/9/2005 11:38 AM

well I'm getting the transmission fluid changed (even though my SA says it never needs to be changed) transfer case, front and rear axle, fuel filter and plugs. Anyone know what the damage might be around 1500?
That's an excellent list of things to do.
She will go another 75k miles easily if you do above.

Trransfer case, axle, transmission fluid change will be total around $400.

Spark plugs - buy on line from one of the sponsors here and save about $100. They will charge you probably around $300 to change the plugs (labor). The plugs have to be changed within 4 years even if they haven't reached 100K miles on the 98 and 99's.

Fuel Filter - I say if you use very good quality gas with detergents, and you're not having problems, don't bother changing. If however you really want to do it, factor in about $800-$1K for the parts and labor.

Your ML is a labor of love and it physically shows. Enjoy

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
I agree with roadsession.

I would also add the following:

- air filter (depending on when it was last changed). This can also help to prolong the MAF sensor.

- replace cabin air filter with the new bosch charcol filter (again, depending on when it was last changed).

- check your catalytic converters. Early model years had problems with the weld and they would crack. I think that these are still covered by a federally mandated warranty up to 80,000 miles. Otherwise, I hear that they are about $1,500 each.

- check for any other typical problems like the D-pillar, door locks, etc... If you have a good relationship with your dealer and are having all of the other maintanence done by them, now is a good time to ask for a partial good will on repairs of any known defects.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
I know this was covered in part on this thread but just to reiterate, here are some things to check off your list and make sure your current on (per the manual)

Every 4 years it will need an air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs.
Coolant flush every 3 years.
Brake fluid flush every 2 years.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While in for service they are replacing the harmonic balancer and belt for me which I thought was pretty cool. Only thing is it needs rotors and pads in the back and pads in the front looking at probably 2500.00 with all the work. Between the service and the navigation install this baby better run to 175,000 miles.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
pize98 - 3/16/2005 12:13 AM

While in for service they are replacing the harmonic balancer and belt for me which I thought was pretty cool. Only thing is it needs rotors and pads in the back and pads in the front looking at probably 2500.00 with all the work. Between the service and the navigation install this baby better run to 175,000 miles.
No sweat .. I think all ML's could run till over 200,000 miles if taken care of properly. [:)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts