Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 73 that is the right color and price, it looks like a gray market import since the Speedo is in KPH. Will there be much of an issue on getting parts? I am guessing that far back and before smog the euro cars are about the same.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
21,908 Posts
I am not sure, but the ECU and Injectors could possibly be different. I know that US 4.5 and green injectors, and euro 3.5 have yellow injectors.

If I get a chance to look at the euro 4.5 (from a 1973 euro 450slc) in my garage, I can let you know if the injectors look different.

I would definitely not let a fear of acquiring parts deter me from purchasing any euro MB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
195 Posts
Looking at a 73 that is the right color and price, it looks like a gray market import since the Speedo is in KPH. Will there be much of an issue on getting parts? I am guessing that far back and before smog the euro cars are about the same.
Have had mine for 14 years now and had my share of spare parts buying, especially early on when bringing the car up to standard. Although I've never had a problem actually getting parts there have been a few occasions when I've had to wait a few days for the part to come from abroad. This could also be the case with N. American cars though I don't know if this is the case. On the whole MB do a pretty good job of ensuring parts are available.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,063 Posts
I wouldn't be put off whether it's Euro or not, as predecessors mentioned parts are readily available. The key item I'd be looking at, if I was you, is the injection which is an electronic Djet by Bosch - it's something that I wasn't feeling too confident about (perhaps unnecessarily but such expertise is not readily available in the west of Ireland) which made me go for a later mechanical K-jet which is somewhat more manageable to a hobbyist me thinks.

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found a site from Germany by Dr. DJet who has a course on line all about the DJet, and I had a 74 2.0L 914 Porsche with no issues. so I think that can be handled with the right info at hand.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,063 Posts
Yes, I've that page in my Favorites as there's a lot of useful info there. Well, best of luck with your purchasing decision - if you've any other headscrathers let us know, otherwise looking forward to seeing some pics of your new baby Merc! :D

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,908 Posts
Sure, the k-jet is more common, like VW cars, but d-jet is common with Porsche, and there is plenty of online knowledge. Parts might be more expensive, which is a good reason to buy spare parts if you work on project cars. Bringing ones back from the dead, I’ve needed injectors and ECUs, and never had to buy them having spare parts laying around from part outs.

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still going with the seller, but looking at other early cars all the SL's have carpeted area behind the seats, but just found one with little seats in the back, I know the SLC's had the "mini-me" seats but were they an option on the SL?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,708 Posts
Rear seat was an option on ROTW R107s. There are also aftermarket versions with at least one very close to the originals.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,908 Posts
Still going with the seller, but looking at other early cars all the SL's have carpeted area behind the seats, but just found one with little seats in the back, I know the SLC's had the "mini-me" seats but were they an option on the SL?
Euro SL cars had folding jump seats as an option.

Here is a black one I had put in my creme interior car. Any SL can accept the parts, but the latch on the top wall between the parcel shelf area and the soft top storage should have a riveted clip that holds the seat up. I just use the strap that’s supposed to be attached to the floor to hold the seat down. It flops around a bit, but still works.

SLC (hardtop only) coupes all have a full back seat (not folding, and SLC were never convertible... at least not from the factory).

·
Registered
1982 280 SL (Euro) 113,265 miles
80 Posts
Have had my 82 280 SL in the US since 1988 (purchased in Germany in 1986) and have had one parts problem. The pressure side power steering hose is no longer available so I had to have one fabricated using the connectors from the old hose. Inclined to think one would expect more of a problem with unique 107 280 parts than others models but has not been an issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like there were 2 possible rear seat options. In my 1984 280 SL, I have a fixed rear seat; and there's as noted a folding seat as well.
I have seen where these can be purchased and installed. One of the reasons I selected this 280 SL was that it had a rear seat, and it is "spacious" enough for my 9 year old. I'm sure that I'll be looking for something else in 2 or 3 years, however.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,908 Posts
Looks like there were 2 possible rear seat options. In my 1984 280 SL, I have a fixed rear seat; and there's as noted a folding seat as well.
I have seen where these can be purchased and installed. One of the reasons I selected this 280 SL was that it had a rear seat, and it is "spacious" enough for my 9 year old. I'm sure that I'll be looking for something else in 2 or 3 years, however.
I believe that only the folding seat was a MB option (for euro only), but there are a lot of aftermarket rear seat solutions ranging from JJProducts folding seat that is as good as OEM (but different), to homemade bench solutions.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,260 Posts
Yeah parts availability for hoses is getting spotty. Thankfully , any good hydraulic shop can rebuild these will much higher quality piping.

The real issue comes down to weird and esoteric parts , like those darn Djet injectors!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,708 Posts
Mercedes option was only the folding seat no fixed one. As stated there are aftermarket seats, one is fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts