Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 450sl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a dashboard cover for their car recently? If so, were you satisfied with it? What companies out there make the best cap to really look like it belongs? Thanks, Ed

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,347 Posts
Searching, Searching, Searching.
Searching, Searching, Searching.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,520 Posts
Like Rowdie says- (he's a man of few words) do a search. There's heaps on dash covers.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
I just installed a Coveraly Brand and it fit like a glove....You have to really look it over to see it's a cover.

·
Premium Member
1973 450sl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DB51 for that picture and info. Looks great..Did you have to glue it down, or just lay it over the dash? Ed

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Ed...I bought the cover from Coverlay online. I don't know what color your interior is, but my cover came in black. I ordered vinyl dye from WorldUPH.com. They matched the color perfectly. It was a simple matter to dye (paint it)

You need to order a cleaner to prep it with. I used a Scotchguard pad to dull the finish, sat it on a sawhorse and painted it. Let it dry for 24 hours....I checked the fit prior to painting. It fit so well I wouldn't even need to glue it.

It comes with a special silicone and you only lay a bead around the outside endge of the cover, plus around the vent holes. Press it in place...make sure you weight in around the defroster vests with some books to make sure it lays down...voila...you're done.

If that's a blue interior, you're in luck...it is a very easy color to match and spray.

·
Premium Member
1973 450sl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dash cover

Thanks for that information. I do have a blue interior. Ed

·
Registered
450 SLC 190D
25 Posts
Greeting the cover looks good.... I have purchased Dash Cap, for my 190 and another for my 80 SLC.
Now begs the question, Removing the A Pillar molding on the SLC. It appears that the fasteners are not the same as the 190(ie pop in and out) I do not want to damage the A pillar, but must remove to have the Dash Cap fit the corners.
Any Help on removal ?
Thanks,
Henderson

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,520 Posts
A pillar removal instructions.

Greeting the cover looks good.... I have purchased Dash Cap, for my 190 and another for my 80 SLC.
Now begs the question, Removing the A Pillar molding on the SLC. It appears that the fasteners are not the same as the 190(ie pop in and out) I do not want to damage the A pillar, but must remove to have the Dash Cap fit the corners.
Any Help on removal ?
Thanks,
Henderson
Do you have a manual? If not you can download a freebie from the sticky section.It should be in there. S/be in section 68-400 items.

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Any Help on removal ?
Thanks,
Henderson
I don't know about the A pillars in a SLC, but the the pillars behind the rear window (is that the "B" or "C" pillar since there is no pillar behind the door glass??) just slide fore and aft to release "L" shaped hooks that are perpendicular to, and slide into, little slots in the metal pillar.

I popped mine off and back on with no trouble looking at the cowl shades in the fixed window. God I want to fix those flaking pieces of painted plastic SO BAD!!!!

JetPaul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts