Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a little research on here, but not finding the answer I am looking for. Car currently has Autolite 63 plugs. From what I've read, these plugs have resistance and I do not want them in my car. Are there "stock type" plugs that I can pick up at my local auto parts store or do I start the online search and hope to find some?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,334 Posts
Been doing a little research on here, but not finding the answer I am looking for. Car currently has Autolite 63 plugs. From what I've read, these plugs have resistance and I do not want them in my car. Are there "stock type" plugs that I can pick up at my local auto parts store or do I start the online search and hope to find some?
I had a discussion with a spark plug expert from Bosch who had also worked for NGK. Conclusion was that there is no problem using resistor plugs on these cars.

For non-resistor plugs Bosch W7DC or NGK BP6ES (if you can find them)
For resistor plugs Bosch W7RDC+ or NGK BPR6ES

I have used both NGK and the Bosch resistor plugs in our '72 SL along with new style Bosch wires that don't have resistance in the plug end (but the plug does). If you have original wires with resistors at each end (you can't see them, they are built in) then perhaps use the non-resistor plugs if you can source them.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
There is a tread with exhaustive discussion on resistor/nonresistor types.

NGK BP6ES is my personal choice, Champion was a disater and had a chance to get Bosch only once with price not justifying the purchase...

BP6ES is a common older japanese car sparkplug

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,561 Posts
So many spark plug choices. For an extra $16, should I just buy two sets? Your Parts Search Returned 7 Part(s),

Was MBGraham's "W7RDC+" a typo for the "WR7DC+" ? (Notice "R" in different spot, but I assume it means "Resistance" either way.)

(I'm not next to my car right now, but I'm making my shopping lists.)

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
I had a discussion with a spark plug expert from Bosch who had also worked for NGK. Conclusion was that there is no problem using resistor plugs on these cars.

For non-resistor plugs Bosch W7DC or NGK BP6ES (if you can find them)
For resistor plugs Bosch W7RDC+ or NGK BPR6ES

I have used both NGK and the Bosch resistor plugs in our '72 SL along with new style Bosch wires that don't have resistance in the plug end (but the plug does). If you have original wires with resistors at each end (you can't see them, they are built in) then perhaps use the non-resistor plugs if you can source them.
Where do you get these new style Bosch wires without resistors? I've bought Bosch wires for M116/M117's from M-B and from Bosch and am yet to come across any without resistance in the supressor. Pictured is a Bosch lead, from M-B. Clearly states 1k ohm resistance. Do you have the part number for these non-resistor leads from Bosch? Were the specifically made for an M-B or just generic? (edit: Doh, sorry, just realized yours is an old post, I think we already had this discussion in another thread)

For your engine Shocarguy, M-B recommend Bosch W 7DCO (MB part number A003 159 12 03), Beru 14-7 DUO (MB Part number A003 159 45 03) and Champion N 9 YCC (MB part number A003 159 26 03).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts