Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after driving past this car for the millionth time on my street today, i finally spotted someone in the yard, so i pulled over and ran up to ask if the old benz in the carport was for sale. i then met the husband, who has had the car a few months, but hasnt got it to run. i was like "thats perfect, caus im the benz guy with all the 123's in the yard u drive past every day, i'd love to help!" so he's recovering from a back surgery, will be ready to work on her with me in a few weeks, so i got a while. we get to talking, and he's like "yeah, its had something done to it, but i dont know what. so i send him to fetch the keys, we pop the hood, and there is a 4 cylinder 2,397cc diesel motor, with an exhaust gas driven turbo charger stuck on it. then i go to check the gearbox, do reverse, then 1-2-3-4-5 gears! im all, damm this could be fun, wonder how fast she'll go full open? so anywyas, im asking if anyone has heard or seen anything like this before. as far ax i was aware the 240 never had a turbo on it, and they definately didnt make a 5 speed back then, SO WHATS UP? in a week or so i'll take my battery down there, and try to fire her up, first he's gonna have me replace all fluids, as per my reccommendation, since it's sat so long, using amsoil of course. then we'll see what happens. he had drained the tank, cleaned it, tried to start, but it would fire. no wonder after i pumped the primer like 40 times till it had fuel. so it should be easy to get fired up. no glowplugs of course, but they'll just have to be replaced. well, any good info/reccommendations would be appreciated greatly, and put to good use. i'll try to go down there tommorrow and make a pic of the motor, if i can.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres the vehicle VIN number: 115.110 10-258601

pics in the am.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guys been sick for 2 days, thus still no motor pics. i will make them just as soon as he calls and is all better.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,474 Posts
I can only tell you that the VIN indicates a 220D.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iv been distracted to dumbness again......it IS a 220 D + Turbo + 5 speed. i had looked at a 123 240, and i got them confused. just went down to try to make pics, but he was not home......could only take pics of the outside of the car. oh well, here they are

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, i finally got to talk to the man again....he was sick in the hospital again. anyways, enjoy the motor pics...hopefully someone will be able to give me a heads up on what i am going to be dealing with. we plan to fire her up for the first time this weekend. does anyone know the oil capacity and filter number for this car so i can go ahead and order some amsoil for her before we fire her up, to prevent damage to the turbine bearings? well, until later then..

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah, u cant really see it in the pic, but the second air duct tube, alu, behind the black rubber hose one has an MB part number on it...maybe germanstar could look it up for me please and say which vehicle it originally came from. it is

MB-DT-3

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sweet car! It looks almost exactly like my late Grandmothers Benz that I'm going to be picking up and bringing home with me this summer.
If you find anything out about the turbo setup, and what tuning was done to the engine, I'd love to know. I've got a turbo laying around from a 2.2L Chrysler that I'd like to make use of ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im sure u will see all that i will be knowing if u kjeep following this post. till later then.

oh yeah, i havent crawled underneath yet, so i couldnt tell u what kind of gearbox it has, however, i would imagine its a benz gearbox, since thats probably all that fits such an engine block.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i forgot to reply like forever ago, but, my father and i tried all afternoon one day, to get this car going.........drained its nasty fluids, and replaced, adjusted vlaves, etc........NO luck, it just wont fire......one time, we had a POP, and that was it..........glowplugs were working and all, we checked, even diesel starter spray didnt produce a result.......my dad's verdict: blow piston rings, on one or more cylinders, causing it to have to compression..........

it still sits there, like in the pic.......if u want i'll find the guys info for u, and u can buy it off him cheap......

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looks like some one built that turbo conversio,and a five speed box is a desirable item with the historic rallye guys in Europe and here in OZ.The turbo has probably blown the pistons.
while trying to start it did you check to see if the cam was turning?[:0]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mercmad - 10/28/2005 9:29 AM

Looks like some one built that turbo conversio,and a five speed box is a desirable item with the historic rallye guys in Europe and here in OZ.The turbo has probably blown the pistons.
while trying to start it did you check to see if the cam was turning?[:0]
oh yeah. else we wouldnt have been able to adjust the valves, rotating with the starter motor.....

yep, thats a definate verdict then, blow pistons.....too much boost, etc.............

so, for the guys in the w123 forum now, discussing turbo-ing a 240 D, u see its a bad idea........

·
Registered
28 Posts
GermanStar - 4/3/2005 6:50 PM

I can only tell you that the VIN indicates a 220D.
I believe the 115.110 chassis (220D as GermanStar said) only had the 615.91x 2.2L NA engine. No turbo-charge option and I don't think a five-speed option. The chassis number is on a stamped plate riveted on the framing in front of the radiator. Kind of sounds like an engine swap may have been made. The engine number is below the glow plug closest to firewall. There's also a plate with vin and other info in the recess for the driver's door.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts