Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
Chamfered pan means the bottom of the pan slopes. Should be quite noticeable. Without chamfered pan means the bottom of the pan is flat, i.e. more or less horizontal when the car is level.

Additional oil cooler means exactly that. The stock transmission has one oil cooler, and the "additional" is a second one. I THINK it's probably only fitted in either very hot climates (like the Middle East) or to the AMG variants. I doubt the ML350 is "high performance" enough to require the additional one, but you can always trace the pipes to verify.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It gets worse! Two different Merc dealers did not change the trans oil at the recommended 60,000km (~35,000 miles) as per the service manual. When I bought this C220 CDI 2007 W204 with 120,000km on the clock, I should have checked the manual, bad luck. Those two dealers also did not change the fuel filter.

The trans oil was black and smelled like a Turkish tram driver's jock strap! I cut the fuel filter open and it showed lots of contaminants. When I asked the service manager at Bentley (Western Australia, Diesel Motors) why those items had not been done, I was told they asked the customer if he wanted it done and he said "NO"?? In other words, people drop their car off for service and then are being asked: "Do you really want a service?". Hardly!

Worse, front brake rotors, the service invoice at 120,000 km claims the front rotor's thickness is 25.3mm and as min. is 25.4 (1"), the rotor is out of spec. Wrong! I measured 26.1mm, so it is within tolerance. Greedy b..........!

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
^ Car mechanics everywhere, methinks.

Probably descended from some of those who got a "free passage" to Aus in the first place....:D

FWIW all transmission fluid smells horrible even new and turns black over time. What a Turkish tram driver's jock strap smells like I am glad to say I have no idea.

That the fuel filter was full of stuff shows it was doing its job.

On my CLK63 and the R350, both driven in normal suburban areas, I got 100,000 miles out of the front rotors. So at 120,000 km (75,000 miles give or take) yours should be okay but near worn out.

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
How do you ensure the torwque converter if full on a 209 CLK (63)?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts