Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
ML350 04', ML 320 00', G-460 86'
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local mercedes dealer cannot find the order number for the needle bearings numbered 211 and 228 in the attached image.
Can anyone help us out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
1. parts like that should be matched by VIN
2. the picture is so small, that I am not sure I read the numbers correctly after zooming in.
3. EPC shows smaller assembles at the time, so it would be nice to know what gearing we are talking about ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. parts like that should be matched by VIN
2. the picture is so small, that I am not sure I read the numbers correctly after zooming in.
3. EPC shows smaller assembles at the time, so it would be nice to know what gearing we are talking about ?
vin is 4JGAB57E15A558546
The bearings is located in B1 Clutch

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
call Jpat in the UK - its their breakdown diagram and numbering system. I use them extensively for transmission rebuild parts for vintage AP boxes.
jpat.co.uk
Parts line: 01934 853956 Fax: 01934 852211
cheers
Barri

Attachments

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
EPC we have available in USA is not showing bearing in B1 assembly.
I would guess it comes as a part of
Disk support 210 270 68 28
or it is assigned to different assembly.
EPC shows all the parts from different perspective, what makes it hard to compare, but car comes as ML350
I don't work on those transmission, so can't tell details.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,706 Posts
Looks like they are not replaceable...

Here is the the direct link to your diagram:

http://www.jpat.co.uk/60 Mercedes 2A 722.6.pdf

Here is the EPC of my 722.6 I rebuilt mine early this summer, and you are talking about the two bearings there in the center of the picture? What are the condition of your bearings?

MArtin

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that explains why we did not find it.
The needles (in the thrust bearing) are worn, especially at the "outer end", difficult to say how long they will last though.
I decided to neglect it and assembled the unit yesterday, hoping the transmission to last yet another 100k km.
But maybe it is possible to use needles from other bearings?
Btw, where did you purchase the blue grease, or can I use any kind of grease?

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,706 Posts
I hope you know what you are doing! One cannot put just any grease on these transmissions! This grease works as a pre-lube, but it's biggest roll is hold-in those teflon/hard plastic seals on the main shafts CLOSED to permit assembly of the parts..

Its official name is called "Transmission Assembly Lube" Not available at ANY auto parts store. The transmission rebuild shops sell it. The blue stuff is the best. Do not buy the red stuff...It melts with the auto transmission fluid, but no minerals to damage the seals, and will not clog-up the oil filter.

I hope you replaced that rear stator bushing bearing, and the pump bushing bearing. Replaced the torque converter too as it contains clutches inside it. The bushing bearings are critical to not put a strain on those bearings.

The bearings are only on 722.6 & 722.9 the stator is the same on both transmission.

All the best,

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not replace any bushings, next time I'll remember:)
I did replace the K3 clutch friction discs, and all the plastics seals, some of the rubber seals, and the rear and front seal ring together with the rear bearing.
One of the plastic seals in the K3 clutch was worn out as well as the friction discs. The transmission was slipping when engaging from 3 to 4, I guess this could be one of (many?)reasons.
Will a worn out bushing lead to a another plastic seal break?

I did not use any assembly lube, just carefulness when assembling.
The transmission is already mounted in the vehicle, no strange noises or vibration yet.
How to know if the torque converter is bad?

I just need to reset the transmission fault code to get out of limb mode before test drive.
I do this for fun, its no big deal if transmission is as bad as before. I've already learned a lot.
Nice pictures btw, thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI:
Testdrive: 300km Results: Transmission is shifting smoothly, no slipping, no strange noises/vibrations, no fault codes - everthing works great!
I used effectivily app. 3 hours to remove the transmission from the vehicle, 5 hours to dissambly+replacing parts + assembly the transmission and finally 5 hours put it back in car + oil filling.
The whole process took 2 weeks because I had problems with my DAS PC. Could be nice to have the DAS integrated with the cars media player!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I am VERY LATE to this conversation, but I am going through this right now. https://www.wittrans.com/ has the parts that are needed for this repair! I know Mercedes won't sell just the bearings, I am guessing it is more effective to sell the whole stator for $500! Just in case someone else happnens upon this thread, they can get all the bearing parts they need.

·
8,706 Posts
I know I am VERY LATE to this conversation, but I am going through this right now. https://www.wittrans.com/ has the parts that are needed for this repair! I know Mercedes won't sell just the bearings, I am guessing it is more effective to sell the whole stator for $500! Just in case someone else happnens upon this thread, they can get all the bearing parts they need.
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your first post.

So, Are you rebuilding whole transmission? If you are doing a whole tranny, start a new thread, so others can see your work. I will chine-in to help you out..

Let us know what you are doing?

All the best,

Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts