Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
5,764 Posts
Pepto bismol looking fluid is sign of coolant contamination.
Wouldn't coolant contamination look more like creamy coffee? To me that fluid looks more like it's full of clutch materials. Shedding clutch materials looks very cloudy, and yes the reasons the clutch would shed like a husky is.... Coolant contamination.

I say that because I don't know what pepto bismol is.

Edit: Google shows pink fluid.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,627 Posts
Mark,

Everything Witek said is right on...

A)The only bit of salvation is replace that radiator like yesterday.
B) Do a fluid exchange where you disconnect the drivers side cooler line,
C) Attach a hose to the cooler line to a graduated clear paint bucket.
D) Attach and Fill the pan up. Use the old filter too. Fill to the normal dipstick reading.
E) Start the car to empty three liters only then stop the engine
F) Fill the pan with three liters
G) Repeat step E
H) Repeat step F
I) Repeat E
J) Repeat F
K) Repeat E
L) Repeat F
M) Repeat E
N) Repeat F by now all the fluid should have flowed out.

Remember do this with the new radiator installed. I use lower cost transmission fluid to do this compatible with the 722.6

This is you last ditch effort to save your tranny. Many times it works, and many times it does not.

The engine oil leak that is super common on these cars. You just need a rear main seal. Mine was pissing oil at 100k Miles. IF you do replace the transmission, replace the rear main seal too on EVERY TRANSMISSION JOB....

Your radiator did the damage here....

The copper flakes is okay. Normal to see it on this transmission.

Martin

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,627 Posts
Guys,
Coolant contamination gives the Mocha Swirl. Full clutch contamination will be less to non existent Mocha Swirl.
Martin

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
9 Posts
First picture is disturbing. Pepto bismol looking fluid is sign of coolant contamination.

Second picture is rear crankshaft seal leak.

Third picture is stuff you find during transmission service. Not a lot of ferrous particles on the magnet.
Yeah, I agree, disturbing. Indy still thinks this confirms pump is gone, meaning rebuilt tranny
Mark,

Everything Witek said is right on...

A)The only bit of salvation is replace that radiator like yesterday.
B) Do a fluid exchange where you disconnect the drivers side cooler line,
C) Attach a hose to the cooler line to a graduated clear paint bucket.
D) Attach and Fill the pan up. Use the old filter too. Fill to the normal dipstick reading.
E) Start the car to empty three liters only then stop the engine
F) Fill the pan with three liters
G) Repeat step E
H) Repeat step F
I) Repeat E
J) Repeat F
K) Repeat E
L) Repeat F
M) Repeat E
N) Repeat F by now all the fluid should have flowed out.

Remember do this with the new radiator installed. I use lower cost transmission fluid to do this compatible with the 722.6

This is you last ditch effort to save your tranny. Many times it works, and many times it does not.

The engine oil leak that is super common on these cars. You just need a rear main seal. Mine was pissing oil at 100k Miles. IF you do replace the transmission, replace the rear main seal too on EVERY TRANSMISSION JOB....

Your radiator did the damage here....

The copper flakes is okay. Normal to see it on this transmission.

Martin
Hi guys, really appreciate all the input. Still trying to figure out what's best. Being told tranny pump is pooched, shavings and whining noise are proof.

Indy tells me since issue is mechanical ie pump, tranny needs rebuild and replacing rad is just wasting 600 bucks, labor included. Such a dilemma lol

And Nava, I'm 65 years old and still working full time, NO mechanical aptitude whatsoever, so I have to trust others. This is .. was ..my daily driver, so with about 5k in, I have to decide if it's worth it. I do love the car!

Thank you all again, will keep on going

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,353 Posts
A whining sound isn't proof that your transmission pump is done. In January 2019 I had a whining sound from my transmission. Trans went into limp mode at a red light and a few miles down the road I got a check engine light. It was P0700 and 705. These codes usually mean a bad conductor plate.

But since my transmission was making that whining sound I decided not to get a conductor plate. Instead I dropped the pan, replaced the filter, cleaned the magnet, replaced pan gasket, replaced drain plug gasket, and replaced the pilot bushing. Also had to open up the TCU and clean out the transmission fluid that was about half way full in the TCU case. Put everything back together and cleared the ECU codes and I also cleared the TCU codes. Car drove great for 2 months with no issues. Whining sound was completely gone.

Fast forward to March 2019, I am on my way to a job interview and car goes into limp mode in the middle lane of a busy 3 lane road. End up having to cancel the interview, and slowly driving back home. Whining sound was louder this time, transmission would not stay in second gear. It would just go into neutral every 10-15 seconds. Turning ignition off and back on again would buy me another 10 seconds, and I had the same codes again like before.

This time I replaced the conductor plate, transmission filter again, pilot bushing again and transmission pan gasket and drain plug gasket again. Cleared the codes and I've had no issues since then. The car is good and the whining sound was gone when I started the car after replacing everything. I don't know why I had a whining sound from the transmission pump when all I had to do was replace my conductor plate. But don't automatically assume the transmission is shot.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
9 Posts
A whining sound isn't proof that your transmission pump is done. In January 2019 I had a whining sound from my transmission. Trans went into limp mode at a red light and a few miles down the road I got a check engine light. It was P0700 and 705. These codes usually mean a bad conductor plate.

But since my transmission was making that whining sound I decided not to get a conductor plate. Instead I dropped the pan, replaced the filter, cleaned the magnet, replaced pan gasket, replaced drain plug gasket, and replaced the pilot bushing. Also had to open up the TCU and clean out the transmission fluid that was about half way full in the TCU case. Put everything back together and cleared the ECU codes and I also cleared the TCU codes. Car drove great for 2 months with no issues. Whining sound was completely gone.

Fast forward to March 2019, I am on my way to a job interview and car goes into limp mode in the middle lane of a busy 3 lane road. End up having to cancel the interview, and slowly driving back home. Whining sound was louder this time, transmission would not stay in second gear. It would just go into neutral every 10-15 seconds. Turning ignition off and back on again would buy me another 10 seconds, and I had the same codes again like before.

This time I replaced the conductor plate, transmission filter again, pilot bushing again and transmission pan gasket and drain plug gasket again. Cleared the codes and I've had no issues since then. The car is good and the whining sound was gone when I started the car after replacing everything. I don't know why I had a whining sound from the transmission pump when all I had to do was replace my conductor plate. But don't automatically assume the transmission is shot.
Thank you sharing that experience. Your symptoms are very similar to mine. I did a flush, conductor plate as well, also cleaned out tcm for oil, same same

·
8,627 Posts
Mark,

Sorry, age means nothing. My father is still digging ditches at 80, demolition, and remolding homes. His younger workers just cannot cut it. He just started doing this in the last 15years. Same with me in the last 15 years I started messing really with these cars. I was a " pay for service" kinda guy. The more you play the better you get. This portal here, and the people here will help you. Plus you will fill the mind with knowledge too-It does a body good!!

Saying what I said above. I would take the car back. Get your self another(if you need another). Work on this one slowly. Acquire the basic tools.

The picture of the Mocha-Oil pan. That is not an oil pump. The copper particles on these 722.6's only come from two places that have nothing to do with the pump-very normal. Your radiator did this from a damaged cooler section, Now you can bypass the cooler section too, but you can do a fluid exchange(get rid of all the fluid in the system). Use this fluid . Get 4 or 5 of them.

What I think what will happen these guys will sell you a bill of goods with a new transmission, and find out that it will whine again. The fluid will come out Mocha again,

One super important thing many transmission Re-builders do is test the old fluid for coolant contamination. You can do yourself and us to see who is dead wrong and cheap cheap to do. If your guy refuses, find a new repair shop... Find a transmission shop not a MB repair shop...

Do the coolant test it is the best money spent. Get the fluid your self from the car as they may be liable to give you another car fluid.

Martin

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
9 Posts
Mark,

Sorry, age means nothing. My father is still digging ditches at 80, demolition, and remolding homes. His younger workers just cannot cut it. He just started doing this in the last 15years. Same with me in the last 15 years I started messing really with these cars. I was a " pay for service" kinda guy. The more you play the better you get. This portal here, and the people here will help you. Plus you will fill the mind with knowledge too-It does a body good!!

Saying what I said above. I would take the car back. Get your self another(if you need another). Work on this one slowly. Acquire the basic tools.

The picture of the Mocha-Oil pan. That is not an oil pump. The copper particles on these 722.6's only come from two places that have nothing to do with the pump-very normal. Your radiator did this from a damaged cooler section, Now you can bypass the cooler section too, but you can do a fluid exchange(get rid of all the fluid in the system). Use this fluid . Get 4 or 5 of them.

What I think what will happen these guys will sell you a bill of goods with a new transmission, and find out that it will whine again. The fluid will come out Mocha again,

One super important thing many transmission Re-builders do is test the old fluid for coolant contamination. You can do yourself and us to see who is dead wrong and cheap cheap to do. If your guy refuses, find a new repair shop... Find a transmission shop not a MB repair shop...

Do the coolant test it is the best money spent. Get the fluid your self from the car as they may be liable to give you another car fluid.

Martin
Hello, so decided to have transmission part of rad flushed tomorrow, then another tranny flush, will see how that goes, fingers crossed

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
9 Posts

Hello, so decided to have transmission part of rad flushed tomorrow, then another tranny flush, will see how that goes, fingers crossed
Hi again so now indy tells me the oil in pan..pic posted, is not contaminated, but appears darker, burnt. Is this possible? Very conflicted lol help!

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
9 Posts
Hi again so now indy tells me the oil in pan..pic posted, is not contaminated, but appears darker, burnt. Is this possible? Very conflicted lol help!
Yet another update, seems specs in pan are aluminum therefore not sticking to magnet. This old was just changed a month ago, with full flush. Any thoughts ?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts