Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 e320 4M wagon (s210)- 189K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a 2000 e320 4matic wagon with 189k that is slipping out of gear when the trans gets warmed up. I have read everything about this trans and the possible issues, service and culprits ( 2months of research). All have been checked but she still slips and goes into limp mode. I think in my case, the clutches were affected by anti-freeze exposure and a rebuild or replacement is in order. What I cannot find is the what transmissions are compatible with my specific model of the 722.6

Mine is a 722.664 (w5A/300). I was hoping MAVA or anyone with info about what other 722.6 transmissions can be used. It must be 4-matic obviously. I have not been able to source a cost effective replacement trans of the exact model and the rebuild costs ($2500+ is not worth it for me to invest into this car. I am happy to source a replacement and swap the trans, but need to know all my options for compatible versions that I can use. In all my reading, MAVA was the only poster hat seemed knowledgeable in this area.

The more options I have the easier and more resourceful I can be in locating a good replacement candidate. I thank you all in advance. Please provide any info of the compatibility of the 722.6 transmissions if you have any.

For example if the e430/s500 - 4M - V8 trans will work, that would help me greatly. These are more available and were some of the better examples of the 722.6 as they came with various updated parts etc in the later years (up to 2003 if I recall). gear ratios are very clsoe in 1st & 2nd, the rest remain the same. Can i use this without issues?

Details of all the various models and or their difference seems non-existent in my research. This is odd being that this is a super common transmission model and made in some many variations. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,981 Posts
Only difference in regular 722.6 and 4matic is the transfer case at the back. Internals are the same.

You want to get the 722.6 out of a V6, doesn't matter what variety. C240, C280, E320, S320, ML320, whatever. Internals same between the two, gear ratio the same.

V6 and V8 have different clutch packs and internal gear ratio. AMG's are different.

If you want a no headache swap....grab a 722.6 from a ML320. It's the same. All ML's were 4matic.

EDIT: you may want to swap the transfer case from W210 to the ML trans.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,196 Posts
How do you know the transmission has coolant contamination?

If the transmission is going into limp mode then there will be error codes. Have you got the TCM scanned through the 38-pin port under the hood for codes?

Have you replaced the conductor plate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies.

@Deplore- Thank you. That helps.

@illstplaya- The radiator was replaced right before I purchased it from the PO. No other info provided at the time of sale. Traces (2 Tbsp) were seen when the trans pan was dropped for service. It was not terrible, but was likely already flushed by PO so this was leftovers more than likely. The transmission slipping issue was the reason he sold it. I thought I may get lucky and troubleshoot it back to life, but I tried, and had others also did. All roads lead back to R&R. My buddy owns a shop and has scanned it for me for MB trans codes. The clutches need replacement and considering the miles she has, this is understandable.

Any other compatibility info is appreciated. This seemed to not be available. may help others as well. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,710 Posts
Have a look at the attached. You need a small NAG, not from AMG. Look at the list that contains 664 along with other types. Then check the list of the transmission types out in the attached list

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you MrBoca. I always wondered about which models had the large vs small trans versions.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,722 Posts
Too bad you are so far away from MAVA and he must be busy with something else.
He rebuilds those transmissions and IMHO putting new clutches in yours will be better bet, than getting used transmission with unknown records.
But shipping in US has several options. ..............

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Mike,

I have been up and down the state of California, but been in Los Angeles Area for the last year and I just ordered a new Nissans radiator because of you as I'm on borrowed time on my 220k mile radiator, so I do not want to blow up my 220k mile tranny yet!!!!! I do have a spare 4-matic tranny in my storage unit, but I would like to rebuild mine on my car soon before quits.

Honestly, I do not like to steer the wrong way if the document says so then that is ok, but I just like to take them from the same cars. Just like most say the ML M112 6cylinder is the same as the E class engine, but they are not when it comes to emissions in my state of Kalifornia...

What I would do first is swap out a valve body from any 2000-2004 6cylinder Mercedes car as the last result... Why don't you rebuild it? here on the forum? I got all the time in the world as I was going to school full time and now it has been cancelled... to help you on the forum..

When it gets hot and slips it is a seal in the body of the transmission or a solenoid or solenoid seal?? What gear does it slip on? Does it slip on 4th? Really try to drive it around with the max of 3rd gear if it slips intermittently it could be the frictions in the torque converter.

Here is the list of the popular self serve junk yards;

The junk yards that they pull the parts from, plug in you info and find one locally:

Let us know what is going on?

All the best,

Martin

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2001 E320 4matic wagon with 176k on it. The torque converter was shot, so I've pulled the trans/transfer case and am in the middle of replacing all the clutches and both "sprags". It's neither magic, nor especially difficult. It is built and therefore comes apart in sections. I'm replacing the clutches in each section and then moving on. No big deal. I'll simply say this: if you can pull the transmission and transfer case out of the car yourself, then you certainly have what it takes to do the rebuild of the trans. The clearances between the transmission and the exhaust system, the front drive shaft, the floor sheet metal and control linkage are minimal and probably would be problematic if the trans is changed for a different model. I considered converting to a manual trans, but the notion of installing a third pedal disabused me of that notion.
FWIW: Portland Transmission Warehouse, Portland Transmissions had all the parts in stock.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 1998 E320 rwd
45 Posts
I have a 2001 E320 4matic wagon with 176k on it. The torque converter was shot, so I've pulled the trans/transfer case and am in the middle of replacing all the clutches and both "sprags". It's neither magic, nor especially difficult. It is built and therefore comes apart in sections. I'm replacing the clutches in each section and then moving on. No big deal. I'll simply say this: if you can pull the transmission and transfer case out of the car yourself, then you certainly have what it takes to do the rebuild of the trans. The clearances between the transmission and the exhaust system, the front drive shaft, the floor sheet metal and control linkage are minimal and probably would be problematic if the trans is changed for a different model. I considered converting to a manual trans, but the notion of installing a third pedal disabused me of that notion.
FWIW: Portland Transmission Warehouse, Portland Transmissions had all the parts in stock.
A manual trans would be ideal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts