Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
99 E430, 99 E320, 97 E300, 95 E300, 93 300D, 92 300SD, 89 560SEL, 76 300D, 76 240D plus about30 more
34 Posts
Are you sure this scanner of yours was really able to access the TCM? You really need Xentry/SDS to work on these cars. Most of the generic scanners will return generic transmission codes but not actually get into the module. I know nothing of your particular scanner but just something to consider.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Time to get to basics...

The left side(drivers side transmission line is the exit line) now check the radiator exit line to qualify if you have tranny flow, and the flow leaving the radiator to the right side of the transmission. It should take about 30 seconds per quart/liter or faster, but it should not take a minute or longer a liter/quart at idle. What are you getting on flow?

The two black solenoids are responsible for the transmission working. You loose the tranny mono mechanical valve, and you will get nothing too. The mono valve has yellowish plastic claw that surrounds the shift gear in the transmission. Did that engage into the gear, or did flip on you to not engage,orrrr.... did it break off like it has happened to some when they do a conductor plate change. The valve does not move You have no engagement, nor is the fluid flow moving past the park condition.

My computer crashed recently, and I go no kind of files on it now, but the ETC.. document(I have posted it a bunch of times here) has a bunch a sequential test flow procedures to qualify your TCM harness to the transmission, and test procedures to test solenoids tooo. The key is not to have a dead short that is bringing down the TCM or Conductor plate.

Let me try to find this ETC document as it will help.

Martin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
took a closer look after at the valve body. I found the Yellowish Plastic Claw to be broken out on one side. I'm guessing it requires both sides to actually work.

Lacking the side of the plastic claw, would leave the trans in Park, regardless of the lever position, I think.
That will be my next purchase.
I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,735 Posts
Lack of mechanical connection between shifter and valve was brought up in post #16.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Lack of mechanical connection between shifter and valve was brought up in post #16.
yes, you are correct. I failed to see the broken plastic "claw" during the first several inspections. If you can zoom in on that pic that I posted, you can see the trapezoid shaped gap in the side of the plastic. The gap is what I overlooked. I'm trying to get a replacement right now from a transmission shop and Mercedes dealer. Both are searching. I may have to replace more than just the plastic piece. we'll see.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,735 Posts

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Time to get the valve at the junk yard, but they may charge you for the whole valve body, yet the junk yards from row 52 are like $70 complete with solenoids and conductor plate. Find your self a 2004/2005 E Class/ML/C Class before they went to the 722.9 transmission... After 2000 the valve bodies are all interchangeable.

Here is some pictures of what this Mono-Valve looks like.

The self serve junk yard list.

If you are out in the East Coast you could find it, half that cost. That is what the go for in Kalifornia. Update your profile, so we can better point you to a location.

All the best,

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'm near Portland, Oregon. Found one, the whole manual valve shaft with plastic part, locally for $20. Installed it, buttoned up the trans and filled the ATF. Then as if by magic the car moved for the first time in 6 months under its own power. Certainly a moment of glee and celebration.

So this job is primarily finished. Next on the agenda is the shifting. The around-the-block test drive revealed that it operates in reverse or forward, but did not shift through the gears. Maybe it is in limp mode.... time for another session with the fault code reader. maybe tomorrow.

Many thanks for all the help and contributions from this forum. Things are looking up.

·
8,064 Posts
Beautiful....

I rebuild a good amount of transmissions, and it does not come down to WHIZ_BANG tools. It is all these common sense things.

Remember this moment as this true for ANY transmission as the manual valve comes off or does not move. The tranny will not engage.

Let your car idle for 20 to 30minutes on the first go around to get that fluid level real close(this is the number ONE mistake many shops make).Keep checking fluid levels minutes/hours/days for a week.

I hope you can reset your codes. If still in limp mode, it is your conductor plate(ruptured black speed sensor/crack on it), yet some cheap Chinese ebay/amazon plates just do not work. I always have used Mercedes Units. They are about $220 with core from the dealer. Also make sure you TCM(transmission computer) is not full of trans fluid-Do that check first... Here is how I do it to clean the thing out:

Post 15

Glad you are rolling.. Should have paid attention to post 16 when Witek mention it...He might have not said it gracefully with pictures... Glad you are rolling...

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,735 Posts
With capable scanner it would take few minutes to determine that stuff inside is not moving.

Value 16 needs to toggle ON/OFF as shifter is moved between N-D or N-R.

etc04.png
etc05.png
etc06.png

Without scanner performing test step 14.0 would yield same conclusion.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,705 Posts
You should get a P0715 (or facelift equivalent) if one of the speed sensors is bad, and check engine light too. Don't forget to clear the code in the TCM first, and clean and use the original TCM.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts