Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
W220 Moderator
6,333 Posts
It will be on a lift. I'll pull the exhaust. Had the rear part of the exhaust out a few months ago to replace an ABC hydraulic line. Massive but easy
Ahhh great, your all set, your Target for R&I Trans is 30 minutes out and 50 mins back in, 'cos it takes a while to get the Oil level spot on and reset all the Codes and Adaptives ;) :D ..............

That's what I've done 'em in way back on a good day ;)

LOL, I'm only teasin', we did used to be able to do 'em in that time, but don't rush it, we were doing them every day ;)

? ?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,656 Posts
Remove in 30 and install in 50?!?! What kind of crack addicted mechanics were you working with?! o_O Christ, this shit is why I got out of the dealership game...I couldn't consistently beat flatrate.

·
W220 Moderator
6,333 Posts
LOL, it's like everything, if you're doing the same job 2 or 3 times a week you eventually get very very quick at it ;)

I had a really good fitter back then and he could likely have beaten that, probably did at some point without timing it ;)

These days I'm a lazy old git, I've been 3 days with a V10 Touareg on the lift for 2 Air Suspension Struts .............

In my defence I haven't physically worked on it that long, just can't be arsed, it's a pig of a job, so I've been lazy as the post Christmas rush has now calmed down, right side is done so I might set to and finish left side in a while ;) .............................

Or .................... Tomorrow, Tomorrow ?

·
Registered
2006 CL55 AMG, 2002 E320 (totaled), '72 Datsun Z
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was reading the threads on the drive shaft rebuild. Holy hell! Two pressed bushing, flexdiscs, center bearing and mount. Had no idea the driveshafts were centered on machined shafts on the trans/diff. Thanks @Deplore for the pointer on that. 90k-100k miles is about what I'm reading people do a rebuild on them. I'm planning 3 hours for the driveshaft and 3 hours for the trans (exhaust and driveshaft out) and two hours of me being an idiot and doing things twice.

Do the W215/W220 5.5L motors have the same engine oil pump o-ring problems as the 5.5L W210/W211 engines. Saw a bunch of videos on these E55 motors going boom while doing my research. The oil pans are quite different between S and E Class.

·
Registered
02 c320, 99 C43, 90 560SEL, 67 280SL
49 Posts
Oh great... Valve body casting is 0106 for the AMG, which Sonnax does not rebuild. Victory Racing has a valve body for it without the solenoids SGA150 Street Valve Body - VRP Speed.

There is a lot of fine metal on the magnet (see video). Does this point at a pressure problem? Does this amount of metal mean the clutches are gone? Trying to figure out if the transmission needs to come out and go get sent over to Sun Valley Transmissions or if its worth attempting a valve body swap. I like the idea of swapping Main and Shift pressure solenoid, thanks Kolleso.

I looked inside mine at 200K with oil change, conductor plate and connector. The connector started leaking at 200K. I drive a lot, passing idiots when needed. That is a lot of metal. Its not chips. Its fine polishing residue. That tells me the clutches have a lot of wear. You might have conductor/connector issues too, but. Depending on your budget, mechanical prowess, spare car, and time:
  • Low budget, good mechanical prowess, spare car, and time: Pull the trann and rebuild it. So it shifts a little slower? Match the valve body springs, valve and bobbins are probably the same. Have fun!
  • Low budget, OK mechanical prowess, spare car, and little personal time:Use Facebook to find a local tranny rebuilder and get quotes on replacing the tranny, here it is about $2,500. My son took his C43 to a dealer, $8k.
  • Good budget, No mechanical prowess, spare car, and no time: Go to your local mb mechanic or dealer, price is similar, but guarantee and service?
  • In the future, don't hit those shits so hard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked inside mine at 200K with oil change, conductor plate and connector. The connector started leaking at 200K. I drive a lot, passing idiots when needed. That is a lot of metal. Its not chips. Its fine polishing residue. That tells me the clutches have a lot of wear. You might have conductor/connector issues too, but. Depending on your budget, mechanical prowess, spare car, and time:
  • Low budget, good mechanical prowess, spare car, and time: Pull the trann and rebuild it. So it shifts a little slower? Match the valve body springs, valve and bobbins are probably the same. Have fun!
  • Low budget, OK mechanical prowess, spare car, and little personal time:Use Facebook to find a local tranny rebuilder and get quotes on replacing the tranny, here it is about $2,500. My son took his C43 to a dealer, $8k.
  • Good budget, No mechanical prowess, spare car, and no time: Go to your local mb mechanic or dealer, price is similar, but guarantee and service?
  • In the future, don't hit those shits so hard!
After changing the conductor plate in my 2002 e320 with 185k miles it only went a couple of thousand miles before the transmission started slipping. I bought a set of solenoids thinking that the fluid pressure was dropping due to a bad solenoid but once I had the thing apart it turned out to be a clogged filter. The new fluid must have cleaned the heck out of the transmission and sent everything to the new filter. Changed the filter and reused the fluid, topping it off with fluid from the previous transmission work. All fine now.
I hope you have a simple fix for yours.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Took me 2 1/2 long days on a shop that lets me use their lift. Decided to replace the radiator instead of cleaning it. Lots of brake fluid and air through the lines. Broke the little coolant breather elbow when pulling out the radiator but otherwise straight forward. Ran out of time and didn't get to the drive shaft bearing/bushings. Kuddos to Sun Valley Transmissions for answering my questions over the weekend. Paint came in handy after torquing the flex plate up...

20200216-FlexPlate.jpeg

·
W220 Moderator
6,333 Posts
Nice One ............

Rad swap is a bear lol, especially if it's the first time you've done one ;)
I take it you did rear main seal as well :)

So hopefully you are driving well now ???????????

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Rad swap is a bear lol, especially if it's the first time you've done one ;)
I take it you did rear main seal as well :)
Rear main seal and plate was swapped. 92k miles and no leaks. My '02 E320 used to go 60k miles before it started leaking. The radiator was crammed in there pretty good with all the super charger pump, power steering and ABC hydraulic lines. Lots of pluming in these cars.

So hopefully you are driving well now ???????????
The car is driving like nothing happened. My old Autel MaxiDas DS708 was able to clear the transmssion codes and get it out of limp mode. It was locked in 2nd or 3rd gear. I didn't know the Autel could do that. The MaxiDas being able to rodeo the ABC and now clear the transmission keeps me from needing the dealer. But it is SLOWWWWW.

I am very grateful for all the pointers you guys gave me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts