Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'95 S600
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this? Looks like a simple job or de-staking and removing the nut and then the flange or is it a mercedes special something im missing?

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,608 Posts
i replaced front seal on the engine: WIS says new seal must be mounted 3 mm deeper (or contra ... i do not know now) because old seal damages the flange and makes grooves into it over time. So I just wanted to warn you about this detail if it is accidentally relevant.

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,176 Posts
I've gained access to tighten that big retaining nut, need a deep socket of whatever size it is, can't recall off the top of my head but no special tools.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,782 Posts
Anyone done this? Looks like a simple job or de-staking and removing the nut and then the flange or is it a mercedes special something im missing?
I recommend watching this video. As he describes, I've had sealing springs pop off. His tricks to keep it from happening are right on point.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
The 722.6 front and rear seals do not have the spring.

The rear nut really has to get impacted-off, but to try to bend out the dimple from the nut with a chisel or punch is just wasted time. Replace the nut always as they are one time use, or you risk the yoke coming off... :eek You need a 30mm 12 point deep socket..

These yokes come in either four or three point, but the three point yoke on a 722.5 has a o-ring inside, so that gets torn-up as you remove the yoke from the shaft end of the transmission.

To remove the seal is to sharpen a 8D or 10D nail. Punch each side of the flat seal a bit with the nail and a hammer . Pull out the nail. Drive a drywall screw then use large Vice-Grips/Channel-Lock's, or a dent puller. Pull on each side then yank on the whole thing, or you can punch it out... You may need that "bang force", so hammering the Vice-Grips maybe the best for someone here, but ideal is use the dead-blow impact of the dent puller...

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
'95 S600
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. Got the tools just waiting on the nut. Will see how it goes

·
Registered
'95 S600
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought id do the seal so its all ready to go once the nut arrives.

Rattle gun'd the nut off as Mava which worked good, used screw driver tap the seal forward to unseat it and then a seal puller to remove the seal. Finished off with a bit of wood to tap it in.
Mava's idea about seal removal sounded good but doing it under the car with the transmission mount in place would of been annoying. My seal puller worked great as you can lever off the output shaft spline, came out with very little pressure.

The nut had been staked twice and had gasket sealant on it, further proof the transmission has been repaired or replaced after what i can only assume was a K2 bearing failure. Hopefully its had a proper fix but i don't think it would fail again under my ownership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts