Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,261 Posts
If that part number in that picture is accurate (as in its from your car), then looks like TCM is the correct one for your car anyway.

Chances are we are looking at a slipping transmission....

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E300D Turbo
111 Posts
make sure you haven't overfilled the ATF fluid in this transmission
slipping gears like this is a sign of excessive ATF fluid

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You could take a picture of the TCM with labels on it and post here. The EGS51 will not work with your car, as it does not support the CAN bus interface from the Tiptronic shifter. It supports the 4 wire voltage coded signaling from the old style shifter. Not sure if the EGS52 is actually backward compatible with EGS51, but if your car has tiptronic (or touchmatic), your car has to have a EGS52, so EGS52 to EGS51 backward compatibility is a moot issue.
This is the TCM

Sent from my U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How tight should the sleeves be? How much movement should they have when installed with the O-rings?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If that part number in that picture is accurate (as in its from your car), then looks like TCM is the correct one for your car anyway.

Chances are we are looking at a slipping transmission....
Thanks for checking. I need to go through this step by step as a transmission rebuild is beyond me at this point

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,764 Posts
Looking through the possible causes I'm seeing a few that stand out.

• One is about missing Torx screws. I had one stuck on the valve body which needed to be drilled out and I didn't replace. Could that really be causing a code? the valve body appeared to be tight and sealed without it.
  • Another is replace 73/6y1 which is the modulating pressure regulating solenoid valve. Is this a common one to fail?
  • "Command or Regulating, Shift Control Valves stuck due to foreign matter" solution: Check valves for full travel and ease of movement, if necessary free up valves as needed. The new overlap control sleeves went in very tight when used with O-rings. Movement was restricted. Without the O-rings they fit ok. I wasn't sure how to alleviate this or whether it was an issue so I installed them as is. I'm not sure if it is a contributing factor.
Check the attached out.

items 307 and 308 DO NOT require O rings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,106 Posts
He was talking about the overlap sleeves with the o rings in the valve body not the o rings for the solenoids.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
234 Posts
What i did on mine my car was making Bump stops and some really harsh shifting and down shifting .... I just replaced Whole Valve body from Sonnax and conductor plate as well .. it fixed all my issues
But it was my case ..it does not mean that it could fix your problem
I did mine without diagnosing the trnsmission ... I just heard people were saying that most fault of 722.6 is the Valve body and conductor plate. So I thought it worth to try... and it worked...

·
Registered
2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
571 Posts
Shpingalet, how much the whole valve body&conductor plate cost you? Did the conductor plate have all the solenoids etc?

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
234 Posts
Valve body I bought from worldwidespecialtypartsvbx
It cost me like 800$ and conductor plate under 200$
An btw the Valve body comes with solenoids ... they replacing solenoids if they defective
I watched a video from Mercedesource how to replace conductor plate... and they have video on demand how to replace Valve body ..but you have to pay for Valve body video if memory serves me....

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,726 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 722.6 tiptronic that stuck in 3rd.
The fault was the N2 and N3 speed sensors. Thankfully I had an identical spare gearbox albeit with more miles covered, and replaced the whole valve body.
I reprogrammed the TCU and now all runs well.

I think the original fault may have been caused by seriously overfilling the box with ATF.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts