Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with my W210 getting stuck in 3rd gear and now it's the 3rd time I've had the underside of the vehicle in pieces.. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

I've been having codes 051 and 147 since I bought the car which indicate that the transmission is slipping.
From when I bought it the car would run fine albeit with hesitation going into reverse and slightly rough shifts up to 3rd gear where it would inevitably stay until the car was restarted.

I changed the conductor plate with no result.

At this point I also removed the TCM and cleaned out a large amount of fluid, dried it and reinstalled. No difference.

I just had it apart again and replaced the sleeves in the valve body. After replacing the car seems to run a little different.. Worse if anything. There is slightly more hesitation and it appears to be getting stuck in 4th gear now.

Codes are the same.

Any ideas?

Sent from my U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,777 Posts
Hello :)

It would help a lot if you specify the model and model year of your car and the mileage.

When you bought the car, did the same codes exist ?
Do you think that the transmission and / or the TCM been replaced or are they original ?

There are many reasons why you have the 51/147 code (P0700). Have you checked the solenoids both electrically and mechanically ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mrboca

It's a 2001 E240 with 300,000 km.

The conductor plate and plug appeared to have been original, I don't think the valve body had ever been removed. The tab on the fluid tube was broken and the fluid appeared fairly clear for the age indicating it had been changed.. probably in a vain attempt at fixing the issue by a previous owner.

The same codes existed when I purchased the vehicle.

I have not tested the solenoids as I don't have the facility to do so easily but I changed around the order of the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids. Both have the same part numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
You need to first make sure that the previous owner has not switched the transmission or the TCM to an incompatible one.

4-6 cylinder engines have different transmission versions / TCMs than 8-12 cylinder engines. Common problem is that people get TCMs from an incompatible car and replace theirs thinking it will solve the problem. This will cause the problem you have and you can spend a lot of time and money and do not get anywhere.

Just confirm that the TCM is the correct one for your transmission and engine, and then go through the list below.

http://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/cd1/2_3/m13.jsp

Locate : 051147P07000, and check out the possible causes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Judging by the state of the tcu and the amount of fluid inside, it didn't appear to have ever been touched before. Is there a more official way to verify that it matches the car? Part number is below

Sent from my U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,344 Posts
Did you replace the transmission electrical plug (pilot bushing)? With oil in the TCM, oil will wick back down to the connector for weeks. You will need to check and see if it's dry or not. If it's wet, just clean it with electrical contact spray cleaner. You may have to do this every other week until it is dry.

I also believe you will have to erase all transmission codes if you are in limp mode. You will need a scanner that is capable of doing this thru the 38 pin port with the correct adapter cord.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you replace the transmission electrical plug (pilot bushing)? With oil in the TCM, oil will wick back down to the connector for weeks. You will need to check and see if it's dry or not. If it's wet, just clean it with electrical contact spray cleaner. You may have to do this every other week until it is dry.

I also believe you will have to erase all transmission codes if you are in limp mode. You will need a scanner that is capable of doing this thru the 38 pin port with the correct adapter cord.

I've replaced the pilot bushing with a new one, cleaned the electrical contact and tried my best over multiple days to clean and reclean the connector at the TCU where a huge amount of fluid had accrued. I used electrical cleaner and dried it out.

I've been reviewing codes and clearing them using Carsoft with a multiplexer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to first make sure that the previous owner has not switched the transmission or the TCM to an incompatible one.

4-6 cylinder engines have different transmission versions / TCMs than 8-12 cylinder engines. Common problem is that people get TCMs from an incompatible car and replace theirs thinking it will solve the problem. This will cause the problem you have and you can spend a lot of time and money and do not get anywhere.

Just confirm that the TCM is the correct one for your transmission and engine, and then go through the list below.

http://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/cd1/2_3/m13.jsp

Locate : 051147P07000, and check out the possible causes.
Looking through the possible causes I'm seeing a few that stand out.

• One is about missing Torx screws. I had one stuck on the valve body which needed to be drilled out and I didn't replace. Could that really be causing a code? the valve body appeared to be tight and sealed without it.
  • Another is replace 73/6y1 which is the modulating pressure regulating solenoid valve. Is this a common one to fail?
  • "Command or Regulating, Shift Control Valves stuck due to foreign matter" solution: Check valves for full travel and ease of movement, if necessary free up valves as needed. The new overlap control sleeves went in very tight when used with O-rings. Movement was restricted. Without the O-rings they fit ok. I wasn't sure how to alleviate this or whether it was an issue so I installed them as is. I'm not sure if it is a contributing factor.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,267 Posts
You need the O rings. Without the O rings the fluid will go past the sleeves, defeating the purpose of the valves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need the O rings. Without the O rings the fluid will go past the sleeves, defeating the purpose of the valves.
I installed the O rings on the sleeves. They are on there, they felt much tighter than the original sleeves felt. How much movement should there be?
The old sleeves had shiny spots where you could see they had been rubbing so if nothing else they certainly were in need of replacing.

·
3,267 Posts
2001 E240 with EGS1? Do you have tip shifter or PRND4321?

·
3,267 Posts
Seems to me that you have the wrong TCM unless you can verify through EPC that the TCM is the right one for your car....Post or PM me your VIN so I can check that when I go to work on Monday.

EGS2 is for tiptronic, and your pic shows EGS1, the older style.

Otherwise your transmission may be slipping (like, actual slipping) and you may need to do a rebuild by replacing the clutch packs or just replace the trans entirely.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,391 Posts
Seems to me that you have the wrong TCM unless you can verify through EPC that the TCM is the right one for your car....Post or PM me your VIN so I can check that when I go to work on Monday.

Otherwise your transmission may be slipping (like, actual slipping) and you may need to do a rebuild by replacing the clutch packs or just replace the trans entirely.
What I was thinking too on reading the thread; that the gear box could actually have a mechanical slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,391 Posts
From the epc, 210062 and 210262 use the above pictured TCM, epc mentions it has been replaced by A0305452332, just for mentioning, it may not matter, I wonder if it's worth it trying the updated TCM here.

Sent from my Pace 2 Lite using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Sadly that's a real possibility. P.M sent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From the epc, 210062 and 210262 use the above pictured TCM, epc mentions it has been replaced by A0305452332, just for mentioning, it may not matter, I wonder if it's worth it trying the updated TCM here.

Sent from my Pace 2 Lite using Tapatalk
Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was an updated. I will check prices online

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
You could take a picture of the TCM with labels on it and post here. The EGS51 will not work with your car, as it does not support the CAN bus interface from the Tiptronic shifter. It supports the 4 wire voltage coded signaling from the old style shifter. Not sure if the EGS52 is actually backward compatible with EGS51, but if your car has tiptronic (or touchmatic), your car has to have a EGS52, so EGS52 to EGS51 backward compatibility is a moot issue.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,108 Posts
When you installed the sleeves did you lubricate the o rings and the valve body where you installed the sleeves?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could take a picture of the TCM with labels on it and post here. The EGS51 will not work with your car, as it does not support the CAN bus interface from the Tiptronic shifter. It supports the 4 wire voltage coded signaling from the old style shifter. Not sure if the EGS52 is actually backward compatible with EGS51, but if your car has tiptronic (or touchmatic), your car has to have a EGS52, so EGS52 to EGS51 backward compatibility is a moot issue.
I'll get it out again tonight and take photos

When you installed the sleeves did you lubricate the o rings and the valve body where you installed the sleeves?
I rubbed transmission fluid over them and their chamber but they still seemed quite tight with limited movement once inserted with the o-rings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts