Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
S320 1996
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

So I just wanted to ask some information about the 5 gear transmission. I think it was filled way too much last time. (Like a whole litre too much). Now after taking my car from an electrician who made my windows work (Finally!) and fixed the reverse lights I noticed a slight force when I put the car into drive, like it wants to jump off even when my foot is on the break. Okay, thought it's nothing at first but after about 10-15min it would not change gears at all, it's just in one gear (suspecting limp mode?) and the revs are quite funny like if I push it to 2.5k it stays there. I put my car to hold right now and I'm going to a proper garage tomorrow but I got some questions first.

As I know the reverse lights are somehow connected to the tranny, is it possible the electrician screwed something up?

Also, I know way too much oil can cause limp mode and in that case it's best to make a whole new oil change right? Thankfully I haven't driven too much with that much oil in it and it has pushed quite a lot out as well already from somewhere near the oilpan. I'm guessing the mechanical parts are quite well, since it has oil? Maybe some seals are done now?

About limp mode, can it be erased (the codes etc I mean) by an diagnostic scanner and if nothing is broken in the transmission could it be back to normal?

Last but not least, I really, really, really think it was the dumbest thing from MB not to include a dipstick for the 722.6. Okay sure, I got one from Febi for about $20 but still.

· Registered
S320 1996
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, an update.

Went for diagnostics today (thank god he worked on a Sunday). Gearbox was in limp mode, he erased the error codes and what not magic he did. All gears work fine, even better than before if I might say. He said it is possible the other guy messed around with the reverse lights so the box didn't go into limp because of oil but rather because of that.

However, oil level is still too high by the measuring thing. Red oil is still sometimes slowly dripping (not always mind you!) but neither the gearbox nor the steering oil levels go down, it's strange to say the least...

Gonna let someone change the 13pin connector tomorrow anyway since I already bought it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.