Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back my car started pouring fluid all over the place while in Drive. Within a couple of minutes, it had too little fluid to move at all. I determined the fluid was leaking from between the engine and transmission, through the torque converter access hole.

I've dropped the transmission, disassembled it, and I found a pretty bad looking bushing that, I believe, is supposed to be in the K2 clutch drum. It's not. It was stuck to the K3 clutch.

I'm also not sure if the bearing behind the bushing on the K3 clutch is supposed to come apart as easily as it does. All of the rollers are firmly in place, and spin freely, but the top metal plate isn't held on to anything. Is that normal?

Finally, here's a picture of the inside of the K2 Clutch drum, where the bushing's supposed to seat.

From what I can see, it doesn't look damaged.

So my question is, should changing that bushing prevent fluid from leaking from the torque converter access hole? Or am I looking at replacing another seal there as well?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I dont remember where I downloaded the manual so cant tell you where to find it but a google search should bring it up. Here is a screen capture of the relevant page though.
It looks like the bushing moving out was a fairly common occurence and caused problems :( sorry! seems from the paragraph at the bottom that they sorted it out and there is now an upgrade package available with a modified roller cage bearing and seal to replace that bushing.
cheers
Barri

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks pcdata, I couldn't find the original post, if you were the one that posted originally then a really big double thanks :D
its a good manual to have
cheers
Barri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts