Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, can someone please tell me the length that the dipstick goes into the tube, ie, how many inches.
When I put mine in to check I can never seem to find the right place to stop.
Seems to have a little resistance but I can push it in all the way!!
I checked the archives but no luck.
Cheers, Brian.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The dipstick hits bottom, and you stop there. Read the fluid level in mm from the bottom of the dipstick.

It is longer than the tube. It's not designed to be left in place. It's a "tool" for checking the level.

When you're done checking the level, then put the cap back in place with a new red locking tab.

Put the dipstick back in your tool box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Astro, I know all that mate but I have a problem knowing when it hits bottom as first post.
Cheers, Brian.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey Digger - sorry to have misunderstood...

So, the one that I use goes in about 36", give or take. (might be an inch or two more, it's sitting in my tool box at the moment)

About 4" sticks out when the tip hits bottom on the pan. I would guess that yours is about the same, since they're all sold as a "service tool" and that leads me to believe that they are the same...from memory, they're about 40" long.

This transmission is known as the NAG1 - (new automatic gearbox 1) and used in a lot of Chrysler and Dodge vehicles. A perusal of those fora and a bit of Googling and you'll get lots of information on this trans.

Hope that helps.

If you need a more precise measurement on the length of the one that I am using, I'll take a look in the morning.

Cheers,
Astro

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Digger - sorry to have misunderstood...

This transmission is known as the NAG1 - (new automatic gearbox 1) and used in a lot of Chrysler and Dodge vehicles. A perusal of those fora and a bit of Googling and you'll get lots of information on this trans.

Astro
Astro,

Do you mean that S-class MB transmission is used at Chrysler and Dodge :eek ?!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The dipstick hits bottom, and you stop there. Read the fluid level in mm from the bottom of the dipstick.

It is longer than the tube. It's not designed to be left in place. It's a "tool" for checking the level.

When you're done checking the level, then put the cap back in place with a new red locking tab.

Put the dipstick back in your tool box.
Wow - I did not know that! My car came without dipstick and I was hunting for one from donor cars. I finally found one and left it forever in the car. Frankly, I never used it since I can check oil level on instrument cluster.

Did I ruined my engine? What is the reason not to leave it there? Do I need one anyway or better just get rid of it?

·
W220 Moderator
5,678 Posts
No one is talking about Engines in this thread !!

BTW the Mercedes 5 Speed Auto Trans is also called 722.6 which is the MB Number, then depending upon exact fitment / ratios etc it has more numbers ........... like ...........

722.6??

I can see OP already knew this by his Thread Title :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Astro, that's a good start.
If you do get the time a more precise measurement would be great.
Cheers, Brian.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to everyone, seems like I have too much fluid in the transmission.
Think I will drain sump and refill with 3.5 lts and go from there, unless anyone has a better idea.
Cheers, Brian.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Additional info:

1. 722.6xx ATF level is measured at two temperatures with suitable marks on the dipstick:
a) the initial fill at ambient (25 deg C)
b) normal working temperature (80 deg C) Use a digital IR thermometer pointed at the pan.

2. The ATF level is measured with the engine running and the transmission shifted between PNRD.

3. My MB dealership refused to sell me the required 'workshop tool'. MB Part No: A140.589.15.21.00. I bought one on ebay for about UKP 5.00. Chinese?

4. A new cap will be required, as the original has to be broken at removal.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
As keyhole says, the fluid level must be checked at the proper temperature. In addition, the fluid level must be checked:
- With the car level, front-to-back and side-to-side.
- With engine running.
- After shifting slowly thru the gear positions.
- In PARK or NEUTRAL.
- Using the tool markings appropriate to the fluid temperature (either "cold" at comfortable ambient temp, or "hot" with the transmission fully warmed up - 80C is 176F, which is painful to touch).

In my case, only the red locking tab was broken, and the black cap has stayed on for several years with no problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts