Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
E320 Bluetec S420
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my transmission fluid, I drain from the pan and measure my fluid and I only got 3 quarts(I did not drain the torque converter) but the manual calls for 6.5 quarts w/o draining the torque converter so decided to put 4.5 quarts in and mesure it and the dip stick is showing fluid levels all over the place. Even at normal temp, it was even showing the same thing when I checked the fluid level before I replaced so what do I do put it what I took out or follow the manual obviously the dipstick readings are unreliable. (dip stick came factory black cap with temperature markings.)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
6.5 quarts without the torque converter can't be right. That sounds like full oil change - pan, TC and filter. 3 quarts from the pan sounds about right, maybe a little low. But you're almost certainly overfilled now. Why not take it all out and do it right?

·
Registered
E320 Bluetec S420
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did replace the filter, but I totally forgot about the torque converter has a drain bolt. Well I took out 1 quart and it didn't shift as good as with 4.5 quarts, could it be that the PO had the oil low??.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I did replace the filter, but I totally forgot about the torque converter has a drain bolt. Well I took out 1 quart and it didn't shift as good as with 4.5 quarts, could it be that the PO had the oil low??.
Sure, anything is possible. At this point you've either got to start over or get a good reading on the stick. Leave the stick out for a while so the tube drains down. Then level ground, at operating temperature, transmission in park, wipe stick clean with a clean cloth, insert it all the way, leave it in for a few seconds, read it with good light, such as a flashlight shinning down the stick. Another method is to run the tip of a paper towel down the stick and see when it starts to obsorb fluid.

·
Registered
E320 Bluetec S420
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is 6.2 quarts with filter change and torque converter drain because it says 7.2 quarts for the new gearbox. So 2.2 for torque converter and 4 for pan?? I guess I'll do another fluid change real soon.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Yes it is almost ½ for each.

On the subject of drain plugs for the TC they were slowly being deleted through 1999 till the 09-99 when all drain plugs stopped being fitted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.