Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's been a while since i posted here but the work on my '91 560 SEC is progressing. (although not as fast as i would like).

All the bodywork is done and the AMG shocks, springs and rims are on the car.
SLS is repaired. New valve and accumulators.
What a difference in handling. It feels like my '05 BMW 320i now, exept for the weight of the car that you can clearly feel.

Will post some pictures as soon as i can.

Next to do:
Adjust the clearance on the steering.
Overhauling the vacuum and electric system.
Installing the ECE exhaust and removing the KAT.

And sooner than i expected(knew it was coming), rebuilt my transmission or swap it to the 722.370. Right now i only have reverse when the transmission oil is cold, most likely the B3 piston seal. So i am trying to decide on the best and most cost efficient solution considering the performance upgrade i am planning.

Concerning the transmission i have the following questions:
(yes i did do an extensive search on the forum).

Swapping to the 722.370 has the only advantage of it being able to handle more power and maybe faster downshifts.
The gear ratio is the same as my EU 722.350.

1. Can I achieve the same result with rebuilding mine with the brake belts, clutchplates, etc.. from a 722.370?

The EZL connection for faster downshifts that tabir mentioned in one of his posts.

2. Is that already on my EU EZL and 722.350? Or do i need to install it?
If so, how and where?

3. Can anybody refer me to a good knowledge base about the differences in these transmissions and the way they are controlled?

I have the ATSG 722.3/4 manual and read all the links on this forum but it does not satisfy my need.

Ed

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after more searching i found that the EZL connection is already there.

Still another question.
Can i keep my torque converter or does that need replacing also?

Ed

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,144 Posts
Ed,

I have the 722.370 transmission in my car. As you know, this transmission was built for the 500E and have the reinforced clutches to handle the higher HP and torque of the M119 engine.

The upshifts and downshifts of the x.370 are lightning fast compared to the standard 722.x transmissions (at least compared to the old one I had in my 1990 SEC).

I don't know whether you can transfer the torque converter to your new transmission, but why would you want to? :confused:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Not all 722.370s are 500e specification, they were also fitted on r129 and w140 m119 engines - 500e specific 722.370s have the reinforced clutch packs and modified valve body.

talbir

1 - 4 of 4 Posts