1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

Just after any advice or tips,

I about to replace my oring on my bowden cable. The condition of the cable seems fine but it is leaking oiling quite rapidily out of the case so i beieve the oring must be deteriorated. I have watched mercedes source video on this replacement and it seems straight forward apart from the limited space. I have aquired long 90 degree nose pliers, a few long bendy brushes and fittings for my compressed air to clean the area first.

Ill order the oring from MB, and get set to do the change. Just wanted to see of anyone had done this and had any tips?

Cheers
Jason.

·
Registered
1989 300E
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey forum,
Got this task achieved this weekend. Followed kent's instruction from mercedes source and it was pretty straight forward. Thought i lost the oring down the spout but maneged to fish it out. The oring was really squared off so not suprising how much it was leaking. Easy to replace the oring/cable with the locking design in the 300e 89 gearbox. If anyone needs any further info, happy to help.
Regards
Jase.

·
Registered
1989 300E
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello GCG

You will need to drain yiur fluid level. Aproximitaley 1 litre otherwise will flow from the cables transmission opening once removed. I didnt remove enough fluid and had fluid pour out when i first cracked the seal.

My oring was quite squared off, and when i removed the cable the oring was not on the cable end. Using a mirrior and some strategically bent wire i managed to fish the oring out as it was still sitting in the transmission opening.

I lifted the front wheels off the ground and had the car sit on safety stands, giving me enough room to fit under comfortably. I used a small extendable mirror and torch to see down on the cable from the underneath aspect.

Happy to help.

·
Registered
1992 300e 24v
199 Posts
Hello GCG

You will need to drain yiur fluid level. Aproximitaley 1 litre otherwise will flow from the cables transmission opening once removed. I didnt remove enough fluid and had fluid pour out when i first cracked the seal.

My oring was quite squared off, and when i removed the cable the oring was not on the cable end. Using a mirrior and some strategically bent wire i managed to fish the oring out as it was still sitting in the transmission opening.

I lifted the front wheels off the ground and had the car sit on safety stands, giving me enough room to fit under comfortably. I used a small extendable mirror and torch to see down on the cable from the underneath aspect.

Happy to help.
Hello,
I am replacing my bowden cable right now, but i notice my new cable does not have the vacuum line fitting as the old one had. how about yours, do you remember if your old one had this vacuum fitting and the new cable you had installed had or not this vacuum fitting ?
will i have any problem if i install this new cable without the vacuum line ?

·
Registered
1989 300E
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey GCG,

Is the picture what your talking about?

On my 89 300e the cable did not have this, nor did the cable i replaced it with. I actually havent seen these before, i think this was off a 500e. Ill do a bit of research and see what else i can find.

Jase.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 300e 24v
199 Posts
Hey GCG,

Is the picture what your talking about?

On my 89 300e the cable did not have this, nor did the cable i replaced it with. I actually havent seen these before, i think this was off a 500e. Ill do a bit of research and see what else i can find.

Jase.
no it's a little different yet. it has only one vacuum fitting. like this one here: http://www.w124performance.com/service/Index/Resources/27-115trans_Bowden_replacement.pdf

but the one i bought and they said it's the correct for my car and trnsmission 722.359 is this one: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Aj0AAOSwjVVVoME5/s-l500.jpg

it does not have the vacuum port to attach

·
Registered
1989 300E
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is the 722.358 and I replaced my cable with the same cable you purchased. There was no vacuum cable on my original bowden cable.

Yours is a 93 onwards car im assuming. Why were yiu sold thst cable? Im sure they make the cable your replacing?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Transmission-kick-Down-Shift-Control-Cable-for-Mercedes-sL-C-E-S-CLAss/311808178421?fits=Make:Mercedes-Benz|Model:300CE&hash=item48993738f5:g:UowAAOSwQItT1zVz&_trkparms=gclientid=KTMgzv-lFQRPHVVzFM_-eKQeQXvLEoiGnC-_1wdovG2LPmw33H6wcqoY8KA1lUtI&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

·
Registered
1992 300e 24v
199 Posts
Mine is the 722.358 and I replaced my cable with the same cable you purchased. There was no vacuum cable on my original bowden cable.

Yours is a 93 onwards car im assuming. Why were yiu sold thst cable? Im sure they make the cable your replacing?

GENUINE Transmission kick Down Shift Control Cable for Mercedes sL C E S CLAss | eBay
mine is a 92/92 car 300e-24v engine 104.980 and transmission 722.359 ,

i bought here: Mercedes W124 W126 R129 W140 W201 300SE 260E 300TE Control Cable GENUINE NEW | eBay

·
Registered
1983 W126 280S, 1988 W124 300CE, 1991 W124 E300, 1995 W124 E200
218 Posts
I am also trying to find the correct part number for my Bowden cable.
The one you guys have shared is available online with two vacuums but mine came with one Vacuum.
Mine is 300CE 1988 with Tranny: 722.358 0 3292732

How can i figure out the correct part number for my cable and where to purchase it from ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts