Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone ,
I was hoping that someone would know. I have a 1984 300SD W126 that has/had a 722.3 transmission that died around 385000 kms and I have the opportunity to buy the drive train from a 1980 300SD W116 with a 722.1 transmission for a real good price. theres some decent differences in the vacuum lines so I was wondering if the swap would be possible or how to reroute vacuum lines. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
Anything will work, although one big difference is going to be a mechanical vs electronic speedometer (unless the 116 has electronic, which is possible but doubtful).

The quick answer is yes, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Those older transmissions were greatly improved, and while it may run for a long time, you're better off finding a later transmission with the correct connections for your car, and the 84-85 models are considered to be greatly improved compared with the older ones.

·
Registered
80 W116 300SD Swapped In 722.3 Transmission
4 Posts
I just finished taking out a 722.1 and replacing it with a 722.3. The plate that bolts between the engine and transmission, the transmission lines, dipstick tube, and throttle linkage have to be changed. The kickdown switch and neutral safety switched have to be rewired. The driveshaft was the same length. The shift linkage has to be adjusted. The 722.3 transmission can come with either electric or mechanical speedomoter. I found one with a cable, but the end was different so it also had to be changed. On the throttle linkage one of the things the rod connects to has to be drilled and bolt one on facing the opposite direction, and another had to be adjusted. I can post pictures of this if needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts