Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, brand new member here. Just purchased a 72 350SL in great shape but with the following mechanical problem:

Car starts up fine. Drives like a pig when cold, with lots of black smoke. I drove the car 500 miles home. Once it warmed up it seemed to run perfectly. I suspected a tune-up (cap, rotor, points, plugs) which I have performed with no difference. Plugs were badly fouled (black, sometimes wet with gas, not burnt). Seems to be sending excess fuel to the cylinders when idling and/or cold. I guess I'm looking at the fuel system now. I'm not an expert but this appears to be throttle-body type FI. Any ideas on where to start looking (typical problem areas etc.). It would be much appreciated so I can avoid spinning my wheels as much as possible.

Cheers!
Robert
Vancouver, Canada

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,402 Posts
Hello Vancouver! I am typing this in Barrie ,Ontario. I would highly suspect your Warm Up Regulater or also known as a Control pressure regulator. It is like a mechanical computer for the injection system. It works with heat, vacuum and has a two wire pigtail plugged into it for the element inside. If this is wonky, it will provide the symptoms you are experiencing. I would first check the connection from the wiring harness. Mine had rotted off and was not getting the juice it needed. I am no expert, but sounds exactly what I had. Oh ya, they are about $1200.00 CAD at MB or $245.00 US at GERMANSTAR(re-manufactured.). Just don't ship UPS or you will be bending over for the broker fees.Good luck.

·
Registered
1989 560 sl
33 Posts
Would this Control pressure regulator also cause the car not to start? I talked to a merceded mechanic yesterday, he is leaning to that on my mercedes but that was just over the phone. where is the regulator located and how would I check it?

Ronnir

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
AlaRonnie said:
Would this Control pressure regulator also cause the car not to start? I talked to a merceded mechanic yesterday, he is leaning to that on my mercedes but that was just over the phone. where is the regulator located and how would I check it?
It's located right up at the front of the engine on the left side (as you're standing at the front of the car looking at the engine).

It's going to look something like this:

That circled tube comes out the top of the warm up regulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts