Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up an old hunk of a 300sel, it "may run" not much rust most things work, needs seats, oh, for next to nothing, is this a car that has parts people need if it goes clunk on me? I have worked on most types of cars, but have not touched the Merc V8's, anything to watch for on a 4.5L engine, was it a good one? Any good spare yards around LA - San Fransisco? Any hot tips from owners? <br>Thank you for any input! March 19th 2001<br>Randall

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I own a 1972 mercedes 300sel 4.5 and also a 1986 300e. I will drive the 4.5 any day over my 300e. If its in good shape its worth the money. There are some things though that you need to watch for or be prepared for on the car. My email is [email protected] Email and I can go into more detail about it. <br> Jeffrey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car #194 for me is a 4.5 found in a barn for $400, 106k miles, a little rust on the hood...and Then, the parts begin... Hopefully we find out she runs this week after a new coil, condenser, fuel pump (beck arnley was $500 as opposed to $1,000...verdict not in yet...) anybody else doing this route? I am sure the air bellows are next as the wood blocks under the rear do not look to ride too soft.

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2011 GL350
427 Posts
For the amount of money you will spend on parts to get this car running right and looking presentable, you could go out and buy a decent car of the same type. It would make much more sense financially and would save you a lot of grief.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
For the amount of money you will spend on parts to get this car running right and looking presentable, you could go out and buy a decent car of the same type. It would make much more sense financially and would save you a lot of grief.
As is the case with many (if not most) classics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts