Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work this morning and when I went to make a turn, the signal clicked fast and then stopped working. I have no right or left signals now. The hazard switch DOES work. Interestingly, the high/ low beam function also seems to have stopped working. The wipers are working. I checked fuse #3 and took it out, cleaned and put back in. No change. I have a spare multifunction lever in the trunk but knowing no history on the car or where all these extra parts in the trunk came from I have no idea if that's the old one from a previous replacement job or if it was harvested in some kind of manic junkyard spree by the previous owner just to have on hand. The latter seems likely, since the trunk is absolutely full of random items like door handles and gauges and clutch parts and everything in between. Any insight into how this is wired up would be helpful!

·
Registered
'72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
1,011 Posts
I was driving to work this morning and when I went to make a turn, the signal clicked fast and then stopped working. I have no right or left signals now. The hazard switch DOES work. Interestingly, the high/ low beam function also seems to have stopped working. The wipers are working. I checked fuse #3 and took it out, cleaned and put back in. No change. I have a spare multifunction lever in the trunk but knowing no history on the car or where all these extra parts in the trunk came from I have no idea if that's the old one from a previous replacement job or if it was harvested in some kind of manic junkyard spree by the previous owner just to have on hand. The latter seems likely, since the trunk is absolutely full of random items like door handles and gauges and clutch parts and everything in between. Any insight into how this is wired up would be helpful!
Do you have the 'pull out" knob or the rectangular push button switch for the Hazards? The '72 could be either.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Uggh, that makes it a bit more complicated as the hazard/directional flasher is mounted inside the center console. Since you say the high/low selector quit working at the same time I'd look there first.

On the base of the steering column there is a wiring connector. It is a flat plug. Disconnect it and plug in your "spare" switch and check for function.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uggh, that makes it a bit more complicated as the hazard/directional flasher is mounted inside the center console. Since you say the high/low selector quit working at the same time I'd look there first.

On the base of the steering column there is a wiring connector. It is a flat plug. Disconnect it and plug in your "spare" switch and check for function.
Ohhhh thank you! Yes that makes some sense to try the spare if I can just try it in the same plug! I didn't even think to do that. I'll hunt down the connector at the base of the wheel and give it a try. I too think all roads are leading to the switch since I get flashers from the hazard knob and the high/low beams are not working. I know they were working a few days ago. The clicking noise from the flasher is indeed coming from the center console area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ugh... so I tried my spare and the problem persists, although it appears that "bright" on switch works. "Flash brights" does not. Flashers via the knob in the console works. I tried wiggling the switch, moving it in and out etc and no change. The only thing that might be a clue is that I swear I got one "click" from the center console when trying to move the lever between left and right signals. Is that relay the same one for both signals and the hazards? If so, can the signals function fail but the hazards function still work?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yup. same relay.

Next step. check the ground connection. It is usually a strap either on the base of the steering column or one inside the instrument cluster. It will have several leads running from a single eyelet.

Second step, look/check for a corroded directional socket on the body. This is the least likely since neither directional flashes but needs to be checked.

If neither of these corrects the problem then you'll need to remove the center console and access the actual flasher relay. Many/most of the times a good cleaning with a contact points cleaner will resolve the problem by clearing the corrosion from the electro-mechanical contact points.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm. Thanks! I'll get in and look for the ground strap next. The only thing that could have messed with wires under the dash was a recent installation of a fast glow pencil plug system with a push switch that was mounted on the center console, inner right side of driver's footwell under the dash for glow function. The gorilla knob was no longer working for the old glow system. The new install works perfectly and it's completely hidden... except I wonder if something was knocked loose when threading the wires from the engine bay through the large, "main" rubber wiring grommet through the firewall. Or perhaps in the console when installing the little switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts