Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 300SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm looking at purchasing a 71 280SE and I'm hoping one of you guys can help me pin point a problem with this car.

The car is in magnificent internal and external condition but I am very worried about the engine. It turns over fine from a cold start however it blows black smoke on idol, and when you rev it, it blasts black smoke and soot out the back; Furthermore it idols quite roughly, even after a long drive. It doesn’t seem to be underpowered, just rough.

I have a 75 350SE which used to blow grey smoke, but I fixed the rings (which had gone) and it was fine again. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be wrong with this one? If it's an easily fixed common problem I will buy buy buy, but if she's too far over the hill I'd love everyone’s advice.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nice car,needs the MFI rebuilding though,typical problem with these cars.Will cost a lot but it's worth it.Where are you? QLD?.[:)]

·
Registered
69 300SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I'm in Brisbane, the car's down the Gold Coast.
I guess I'll just get it checked out at Tri-Star down there and see how much I'll have to spend to get her up to scratch... I agree if it isn't too much it is worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sonds like the car runs rich.car has a thermostat in the injection pump remove small air cleaner on pump with engine on at operating temp cover it with your finger idle should stay the same .if it drops thermostat is bad the linkage must also be corellated ck compression,timing dwell and plugs good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you are in Brisbane,Use Three point Services at Mt Gravatt,I do my own work on my cars but these guys are the only "experts" qualified in Queensland to trust with the older mercedes.Go there any day of the week and you will see all sorts of Classics from Gullwings to E55's.
My first Merc was a 108 280SE ,but as it was new i never had to worry too much about mechanical problems[:D]
I still have two 109's,a 3.5 and a 6.3,SEE you on the road around Brissy some time[:p]
Cheers [8D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts