Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With new front bearings, newly rotated and balanced tires, new rotors, I am getting a drone or shimmy at 70+ miles an hour in my 95 E320 wagon. Can't figure out where it is coming from.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what they did to fix it. How many possible culprits are there outside of the things I have ruled out? Is it possible to get a "bad" rotor that is unbalanced to cause this sort of problem?

Thanks in advance and really appreciate you guys chiming in on this one as I am positive I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Check your center support bearing. Rotors will only cause issues on braking, not just regular driving

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your center support bearing. Rotors will only cause issues on braking, not just regular driving
I hadn't thought of that. Any good procedures to test the integrity of the center support bearing?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I hadn't thought of that. Any good procedures to test the integrity of the center support bearing?
I don't think so...I have a vibration on the freeway above 70mph also...but mine is a vibration not a drone. I think its my center support bearing also. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Only reason I think it is that is because I still have a "clunking" noise when I blip the throttle that is coming from the driveshaft somewhere. Since I already did my flex disks, I think its gotta be the CSB.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so...I have a vibration on the freeway above 70mph also...but mine is a vibration not a drone. I think its my center support bearing also. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Only reason I think it is that is because I still have a "clunking" noise when I blip the throttle that is coming from the driveshaft somewhere. Since I already did my flex disks, I think its gotta be the CSB.
I should have clarified, a drone implies and audible phenomenon, which this is not, rather, it is a vibration somewhere in between 30-40hz at 70mph if I had to guess. Center support bearing sounds like a good place to look as this vibration has almost no hints at localization... it is very "CENTRAL" in nature.

A new one is only $15.75 from Autohausaz -- very inexpensive. But the question is, how involved is replacing this part? Is there a DIY sticky anywhere on this?

Curious to know how many have replaced their center support bearing and what kind of improvement they got?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Just so maybe we can brainstorm here for both our issues....Does your vibration occur on load only?

I know mine disappears as soon as I let go of the throttle on the freeway. I can go at 80 where it vibrates pretty bad, then let go of the gas and it disappears :confused:

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
I know mine disappears as soon as I let go of the throttle on the freeway. I can go at 80 where it vibrates pretty bad, then let go of the gas and it disappears :confused:
That sounds like the center support for sure. On my 123 it does the same, on hard acceleration it really vibrates.
When I grab the drive shaft, I can move it around like it's suspended by rubber bands!
I've found the bearing itself in most cases is OK, seems to be the rubber support that usually fails. In the ten or so jobs I've done,
only once have I seen a toasted bearing, replace both none the less.

Fish

Edit: I'm assuming you've both checked CVs on the half shafts?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just so maybe we can brainstorm here for both our issues....Does your vibration occur on load only?

Good question... whether or not it does it under load. Seems like mine is constant, but made worse when accelerating and only rears its head when approaching 70 and above.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like the center support for sure. On my 123 it does the same, on hard acceleration it really vibrates.
When I grab the drive shaft, I can move it around like it's suspended by rubber bands!
I've found the bearing itself in most cases is OK, seems to be the rubber support that usually fails. In the ten or so jobs I've done,
only once have I seen a toasted bearing, replace both none the less.

Fish

Edit: I'm assuming you've both checked CVs on the half shafts?
Super cool we have found someone that has this same problem and has replaced several before... thanks for chiming in Fish. Sounds like we are onto something here. I certainly would advance work on that section and see what happens before approaching the CVs on the half shafts... which, in answer to your question, no, I have not checked those. Please tell me more if you would. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
Correct neanderthal, I have a bad rear wheel bearing on my 124, and it makes a howl rather than a vibration.

It's time to get under the car and have a look around, look for the obvious... torn boots on the CVs, elongated holes around
the bolt holes in flex discs, grab hold of the drive shaft at the center support and give it a shake.
The center support surrounds the bearing with rubber to isolate any slight vibrations, if you can move it around at all
then it's likely torn. Also look for rust spray, as the grease gets flung out of the bearing and is replaced with water,
it leaves its mark on the tunnel.

It's not a hard job, provided you have a safe way of working under the car. Procedure is
covered quite well in the manual, if you don't have large metric wrenches, a couple
crescents will work. Pullers can be borrowed from your local AA or AZ.

thanks go to ps2cho for providing the manual ;)
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/41-100.pdf#page=14

Fish

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
^ Oh so there is rubber around the bearing? Makes sense now...

Like I said, when I blip the throttle my driveshaft "clunks" or "tings"...when I did my flex disk I hoped it would get rid of it, but it did not. My rubber is probably gone. That's never good in any situation!

I'll get under the car and see what I can find.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
^ Oh so there is rubber around the bearing? Makes sense now...

Like I said, when I blip the throttle my driveshaft "clunks" or "tings"...when I did my flex disk I hoped it would get rid of it, but it did not. My rubber is probably gone. That's never good in any situation!

I'll get under the car and see what I can find.
Check the rear bushings on your diff.

Jayare

1 - 14 of 14 Posts