Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,330 Posts
If you are afraid of putting pressure on the steering lock, then put a 2x4 piece of wood between a steering wheel spoke (maybe covered in padding) and the floor (maybe with a flat piece of wood to distribute the force on the floor).

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,957 Posts
Dang! Ok good deal. I've just done with wheel turned all the way left. You do have to pull the wheel a little with your hand to take up the little Freeplay. It's a bit of a pain finding the right spot so you start off with tension on the bolt. This way your pulling against the stop on the knuckle. Also have to keep the hex lined up correctly, so you don't strip it.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6, 300E, Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got all the lines routed and started making the vacuum connections. With the help of a neighbor, I pushed the car out and flipped it around so I could address the fuel pump situation. When working on at the pump side of the system, I found that clamping the fuel feed line with a pinch clamp didn't really help much and found that the pump setup I chose based on the parts I had (setup #1 of the 3 potential setups for early CIS MBs) does not work on the W126 chassis because of where the fuel hard line to the front of the car is.

Also does anyone have a recommendation on fuel filters? My Mann WK845 is way too large for the pump assembly I have so I can't get two of the rubber isolator bushings to line up and the accumulator is dragging on the axle shaft.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,128 Posts
I wouldn’t be too surprised if their still available at the MB dealer.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
All of the plumbing is done, especially after shooting a geyser out of the cold start injector fitting during pressure test.

What is this threaded hole? I found a black plastic plug near it.

It is next to the idle control valve

Going to finish up running the vacuum hoses next and then hopefully have a running and driving car shortly

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
src="
"

I'm missing all of the retaining clips on the exhaust rockers and there are tool marks from previous attempts of valve adjustment

A good amount of sprocket wear from lack of oil changes. Also found a fair amount of sludge in the motor.

The cams generally look like shit

So the car is running on k-jet now. It cold starts fine but I clearly still have some vacuum issues. Once it starts idling down after cold start, there is an obvious intermittent multiple misfire. Plug wires say "Made in West Germany", are not at all flexible, and I broke one while pulling the valve cover.

Replaced the alternator belt as the original one was thinner than a shoe string. I'm also going to replace the power steering belt. Not sure about the AC compressor belt yet because the compressor clutch assembly is clearly worn and has lateral play.

Also did some rust proofing in the passenger side taillight and did some cleaning on the bottom of the car.

I am not sure if I am going to proceed and am going to consult with the mechanic that I have entrusted my beautiful 560SL to for a second opinion on the camshaft wear as well as the cam sprocket and timing chain wear.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts