Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6, 300E, Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no K-jet, this car had a carburetor swap done - done well actually aside from cold starts being fickle and no choke control inside the cabin. So well in fact that I can put it back to K-Jet without too much fuss by the looks of things.

Replaced the front passenger side marker:

Interior shots:

I forgot 15" bundts were a thing - this car has only one for some reason. I've been told this one is not an original fuchs made wheel

Also replaced the passenger taillight because the lens was cracked. Unfortunately the original was a euro and my spare on hand is a US spec.

I poked around with a flat bladed screw driver and pulled the trunk liners out to see how extensive the rust is. There is some rust at the front drivers side jack point, peeling undercoat under the drivers side sway bar hole, and more peeling undercoat at the rear drivers jackpoint. The bulk of the rust is in the trunk, there is a perforation in the drivers side well, and surface rust in the spare tire well, but the passenger side well looks alright. All of the trunk liners were wet so I took them out and am going to have to hit them with cleaner to knock down the potential for mold.

Also, as you may have seen in the engine bay photos, there is evidence of a front end impact previously. The previous owner disclosed that the car was involved in a front end wreck years ago and was repaired professionally. All of the panels line up so that testament looks to be fact.

Here's my to-do list going forward:
  • Pull back seat and scuttle tray, check rust around rear window (I don't think there's much because it didn't feel crunchy when I stuck my fingers through the holes in the metal crossbrace forward of where the glass and trunk seal area meet.
  • Replace seized and broken combination switch
  • Replace belts, check alternator for bearing play, resistance, and voltage regulator brush length
  • Get all the K-Jet parts installed (lines, fuel distributor, fuel pumps, filters, accumulator, misc junk, and throttle body)
  • Get car to run using K-Jet and verify that the system functions during decel shutoff, idle, idle w/ AC compressor on, WOT, and transient throttle positions.
  • Change engine oil
  • Treat rust with POR-15 after peeling back undercoating. the perforations in the drivers side trunk well will require dropping the exhaust and using high temp paint and may also require a metal patch panel
  • Once car is running acceptably, replace ignition cap and rotor, wires, and potentially the coil. I got shocked pretty damn good when messing with the choke on the carburetor and don't feel like ever experiencing that again.
  • Change trans fluid, differential oil, brake fluid (I'm surprised the anti-lock binders work as well as they do), and coolant. Need to figure out why that random overflow bottle is in the engine bay.
  • Realign driver's rear door catch
  • Get my W126 battery tray from my mom's house in CT and install it
  • Replace the tires (not sure if I'm going to buy 3 more 15" bundts or sell the one)
  • Fix the stuck sunroof
  • Car should be inspection ready at that point
  • Fix interior and random problems as parts/problems/deals crop up

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Video of the car running before offloading from the trailer

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,659 Posts
I like the look of it. Nice interior too. Be prepared for more rust hiding under that thick undercoat. It's a bugger once it's got under there. At least the metal is thick to start off with.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
211 Posts
Why would anybody put a carb back into a car? what's the mileage? I was told by one paint shop ten years ago that my car was so rusty underneath that there was no hope. Fortunately there is. Your to-do plan seems well organized and I hope you will give us progress reports.

·
Registered
1996 S500, 1992 500SL, 1984 300SD
17 Posts
I watched that one on CL for some time. Would've picked it up myself but for lack of storage space. The M110 is a great motor. I'm glad that you saved it from potentially ending up in the scrapyard. Best of luck with getting it back on the road. I too am looking forward to any progress reports.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,924 Posts
Are you around philly these days? U pull it in pennsburg got an m110 126 last week. Should be able to source all kjet parts in one shot. Not sure if it ran though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you around philly these days? U pull it in pennsburg got an m110 126 last week. Should be able to source all kjet parts in one shot. Not sure if it ran though.
Do you happen to recall what color it was? I'm only asking because I hope to find the one that I owned years ago. It was Light Ivory and my first Mercedes. It's a long shot but I'd love to own it again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In any case, I hope that the OP is able to get the parts he needs from it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
No this was a black on palomino sel.
I know the feeling. Last year I saw then missed my vw beetle from high school. Even had the mismatch paint tape lines and all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Darn! Thanks for letting me know. Oh man! Well, at least you know it's still on the road.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No this was a black on palomino sel.
I know the feeling. Last year I saw then missed my vw beetle from high school. Even had the mismatch paint tape lines and all.
Thanks for the tip on the Pennsburg car, I got some good stuff out of it but I'll need to keep working on sourcing stuff.

By the time I got to the Pennsburg car, it had already been picked apart by a mongoloid. All of the fuel hard lines I needed from the fuel distributor to the injectors, WUR, and fuel pressure regulator were cut with snips making them useless. I have an early CIS distributor out of a 280E that was taken off of a running car that I got from my mechanic when I gave my SL to him so he can replace the AC compressor.

The Pennsburg car did have some goodies though. I took what appears to be a fire extinguisher mounting bracket from the drivers seat (the black part that the red holder bolts to), took the grille, the throttle valve, throttle linkage pieces, and the overrun/decel shutoff air line and inlet line to the ICV.

Based on what I got today, I am ordering the following parts.
110-141-11-80-64 - Throttle Valve Gasket to intake manifold
110-094-51-82 - Hose
110-094-52-82 - Another hose
110-094-50-82 - Hose from air cleaner to decel shutoff valve
Misc vacuum fittings and a few meters of vacuum line
Fuel filter

Having these parts will allow me to go forward with removal of the carburetor and install the throttle valve. But I'm kind of stuck without the lines from the fuel distributor to the injectors unless I have to change over to an alloy distributor (then I'll need that too). I have the fuel pump, 2 fuel accumulators, fuel pump assembly bracket, more check valves than I know what to do with, and all the fuel hoses at the pump assembly.

I also read something about a safety switch on the air metering assembly, but there's no wire connection for this anywhere in the car, not even a cut up harness. Do the euro cars just not have that safety switch, the Pennsburg car didn't seem to have a wire connection for one either and again no cut up harness shockingly.

Also removed the grille and prepped the hood for the installation of the replacement one.

Took the 15" bundt off and found that the wheel lugs were loose and the ABS sensor is tywrapped up in the wheel well. Brake pads are basically gone so I'll have to replace those after I get the car running.

I continued cleaning the car today as well, the car is in pretty nice shape especially compared to the Pennsburg car. Can't wait to get it running on CIS and then sorting it out for a cross country drive to California in August.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If you can source the nuts you can make your own lines. Shame that the car got messed up, more than it was already lol.
It had just hit the row day before I saw it and it was complete less bumpers and headlights. Those are at my place:)
If you are stuck I have a hydraulic flare tool that makes light work of the bubble flares.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you can source the nuts you can make your own lines. Shame that the car got messed up, more than it was already lol.
It had just hit the row day before I saw it and it was complete less bumpers and headlights. Those are at my place:)
If you are stuck I have a hydraulic flare tool that makes light work of the bubble flares.
I got all the lines today, yipee. Also got a new accelerator pedal because mine broke.

Did some more poking around while cleaning the old gasket material off the throttle valve. Pulled back the broken drivers side fender liner and was pleasantly surprised.

Also removed the battery and the junk that was stuffed beneath it and did some cleaning.

Now I just need to wait for the parts I ordered from the dealer to come in so I can fix all of the issues in the engine bay, then I will push the car out of the garage, turn it around, and push it back into the garage so I can get access to install the fuel pump assembly. After that, I will hopefully have the car running.

Tried to also take care of the broken combination switch but that 10mm allen bolt holding the steering wheel on is not something I can take off with brute force and I seem to have misplaced the battery to my cordless impact gun again.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,732 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Pennsburg car, I got some good stuff out of it but I'll need to keep working on sourcing stuff.

By the time I got to the Pennsburg car, it had already been picked apart by a mongoloid. All of the fuel hard lines I needed from the fuel distributor to the injectors, WUR, and fuel pressure regulator were cut with snips making them useless. I have an early CIS distributor out of a 280E that was taken off of a running car that I got from my mechanic when I gave my SL to him so he can replace the AC compressor.

The Pennsburg car did have some goodies though. I took what appears to be a fire extinguisher mounting bracket from the drivers seat (the black part that the red holder bolts to), took the grille, the throttle valve, throttle linkage pieces, and the overrun/decel shutoff air line and inlet line to the ICV.

Based on what I got today, I am ordering the following parts.
110-141-11-80-64 - Throttle Valve Gasket to intake manifold
110-094-51-82 - Hose
110-094-52-82 - Another hose
110-094-50-82 - Hose from air cleaner to decel shutoff valve
Misc vacuum fittings and a few meters of vacuum line
Fuel filter

Having these parts will allow me to go forward with removal of the carburetor and install the throttle valve. But I'm kind of stuck without the lines from the fuel distributor to the injectors unless I have to change over to an alloy distributor (then I'll need that too). I have the fuel pump, 2 fuel accumulators, fuel pump assembly bracket, more check valves than I know what to do with, and all the fuel hoses at the pump assembly.

I also read something about a safety switch on the air metering assembly, but there's no wire connection for this anywhere in the car, not even a cut up harness. Do the euro cars just not have that safety switch, the Pennsburg car didn't seem to have a wire connection for one either and again no cut up harness shockingly.

Also removed the grille and prepped the hood for the installation of the replacement one.

Took the 15" bundt off and found that the wheel lugs were loose and the ABS sensor is tywrapped up in the wheel well. Brake pads are basically gone so I'll have to replace those after I get the car running.

I continued cleaning the car today as well, the car is in pretty nice shape especially compared to the Pennsburg car. Can't wait to get it running on CIS and then sorting it out for a cross country drive to California in August.
Coming to Legends Of the Autobahn for Monterey car week ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coming to Legends Of the Autobahn for Monterey car week ?
Yep, as well as Concours d'Lemons and Radwood (if they're doing it again this year). I'm going to try my best to make the car pretty but I'm not repainting it. Plan is to drive 6 days on the northern route to get there with random interest stops here and there, enjoy car week for 3-4 days, and then drive back 7 days on the southern route (I'm adding a day here for the Grand Canyon).

The trip with stops and detours is over 6000 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts