Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 280SE with a bad motor & injection pump as well as a '74 450SEL.<br>The 450SEL runs great but has rust in the rockers and front floor boards. I'm<br>wondering if its wise to convert the 280SE to a 4.5 using the running gear<br>from the '74 450SEL. Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NOPE, can't do that... First of all the 450SEL motor is NOT a 4.5 liter... 450 means 450 cubic inches, S is the class, E is for Fuel Injection and L is for Long Wheel base. The motor mounts would not match up... the tranny wouldn't fit either. It's easier to get a good used proper engine and just drop it in for 1500 bucks. If you want to know where to go , just drop me an email..<p>[email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: NOPE, can't do that... First of all the 450SEL motor is NOT a 4.5 liter... 450 means 450 cubic inches,<p>Aha? That would mean somewhere in the 7.8 Liter region...<br>are you serious, even a bored out M-100 (6.3 and later 6.9 Liter) would not get you there.<br>From my knowledge, 450 SEL stand for 4432 ccm (cubiccentimeter). However 1000ccm is equivalent to 1 Liter. <p>To engines,<br>The 4.5 and 450 SEL differ in terms of the Pistons and compression. <br>It is best if you find a 4.5 engine (M117 I believe). You could then switch to 450 SEL pistons and "Kurbelwelle" (is that the crankshaft).<br>This will give you higher compression (still moderate though) > 225 HP instead of 200.<p><p> S is the class, E is for Fuel Injection and L is for Long Wheel base. The motor mounts would not match up... the tranny wouldn't fit either. It's easier to get a good used proper engine and just drop it in for 1500 bucks. If you want to know where to go , just drop me an email..<p>[email protected]<p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts