Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 Unimog S404 German version that I bought last week. When I drove the truck home I noticed that it had a slight miss in it that I assumed that was a combination of ignition and carburator neglect. I checked the compression to eliminate the head gasket and got 120 lbs per cylinder on all. The carb was cleaned and new gaskets installed and I put in a new set of points and a condenser. I looked in the manual for the point gap but really wasn't sure what the setting was supposed to be. Does anyone know what the point gap should be set at? How about the timing? I have normal car test equipment for 12V but I didn't think that would work on a 24V system. What does everyone else use? Does anyone have any experience with the electronic/civilian ignition conversions? I think that I have a decent engine in this Mog as long as I can get the ignition and the timing dialed in. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Unimog
26 Posts
Tune Up

The point gap is .5+0.1mm or approx .020"

On timing the stock setting is 2 degrees BTDC and when looking at the marks 0=TDC, 1=10 degrees, 2=20 degrees.

Use a 12 volt timing light powered by a separate 12 volt battery. If you have a shielded set of wires an inductive timing light won't work.

The Pertronix ignition conversion works great and allows you to move your timing to 10 to 12 degrees BTDC.

There are aluminum cap adapters that allow the installation of normal distributor caps / wires / plugs (NGK BP6ES or Bosch W8DC gapped at .028 or so)

If you want further info on the ignition upgrade contact me off the list and I'm willing to help.
I also stock the Pertronix and adapters.

Chris Elliott
www.offroad-imports.com

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts