Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi year:2001
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The vito needs some welding to pass its MOT: a patch on the rear internal sill, a small hole in the wheel arch and the rest around both front subframe mounts. Cant believe how bad its got. Anyway I've got a welder who's happy to to sort it but getting access to the underside of the subframe mounts is the issue. I need to drop the subframe (part of which is the black triangular frame in the picture). The mount that's the issue is the half a tin can sized cylinder thing that's just below the 2 vertical bolt holes in the wheel arch

I had thought at first the front of the subframe unbolted, but this is only on the nearside - you can see this in the nearside arch pic just above wheel.. 3 of the 4 bolt holes visible.

I'm looking for info on how to do the job. I need to drop it several inches for access rather than remove to completely. I've currently got the radiator removed, wishbones detached. I'm looking for info on.

- supporting engine in situ. I'm looking at supporting it under the sump, leaving the top mountings still on.

- what sort of job is it to remove the steering. One of the steering pipes goes under the subframe meaning I either leave the steering in place and drop subframe carefully to just above pipe or remove steering and drop subframe without worry.

As ever, any help greatly appreciated... plan to drop subframe this Sunday weld Monday, welding pics up Tuesday!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple of hours work and subframe's now dropped enough to weld mounts.

You can leave the steering rack connected to the subframe and just disconnect the universal joint.

Support engine under sump and couple of axle stands under cross member where rear subframe mounts are.

I needed to remove bumper & grill, upper & lower cross members, radiator & intercooler, wishbones, front section of exhaust, disconnect tie rods, stabliser linkage and steering uni joint. Then unbolt subframe fixings and lower rear engine mount.

Looking at the rot I would say if you've got any rot on your sills I'd bet your mounts are on the way out too. Rot wasn't picked up at previous MOT, but if spotted they must've been a fail then too (independent test station). I'd think its because they're quite well hidden from sight by grill, bumper, wheel arch covers. Tester was quite chuffed he spotted it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
A good pothole might have seen the two sides of your van go in separate directions!

You are braver than me. I would consider scrapping it at that. It reminds me that i really need to get my garage sorted out so that I can get the van in and stripped down for sand blasting and re painting underneath (and re make the bottoms of all of the doors which are currently taped up)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Vans finally MOT'd and back on the road. Found a few other rust spots underneath once I had developed the eye to spot blown stone chip mastic.

- Rear inner sills close to jacking points.
- 2nd crossmember from front where it joins inner sills both sides (see pic)
- Square floor of crossmember & inner sill within within front jacking points.
- Floor of rear quarter & seam near where cabling enters near side

vito3.jpg

Didn't take any pics of the welding of the subframe mounts before painting, was sick of the van by that point

Thankfully rear spring housings were fine, though I chipped enough rust off them, also within rear jacking points were similar to front but didn't need welding. Took off exhaust, rear springs and spare wheel framework to give access.

Cleaning off rust underneath is a nasty, depressing job I'll never want to repeat- working under a van in full PPE praying its not going to rain and wondering where else you'll find holes.
If I took it into a garage to do it I would want to see it just before they repainted it, because there's a big temptation to do half a job dealing with the rust and hide the fact by painting over it.

Used a Fein multimaster to chase off the mastic and an ansells forged steel wood chisel to chip off the scabs of rust before getting a knotted wire brush on an angle grinder at it. Guess it would've been quicker and more thorough with a grit blaster but didn't have one to hand.

Fabricated a flame guard for the fuel feeder pipe. (paint was holding together the rust on the old one, every bolt sheared off too)

One thing I wish I'd done is start the van up regularly whilst on the jacks and kept the battery on charge.

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
I feel your pain and admire your determination. I was going to do the exact same on mine but to top it all the head gasket has gone as well and seeing as the van only cost me £500 in the first place I just can't justify the amount of work involved.

The cost doesn't really come into it because I already have everything I need except the time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts