Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This afternoon I had just taken off when all of a sudden the van 'stalled' and the battery light came on.

After pulling over (just), I turned the van off and placed it in 'P' and then restarted it. All seemed fine. No warning lights at all.

Put it into 'D', went to drive off and all I got was revving and then the auto light came on on the dash.

Turned it off again and tried again. Same result.

Looked underneath and no dropping fluids.

Called a tow truck and have had it taken to the mechanic to scan in the morning.

Has anyone had similar or can anyone shed some light on the problem ?

Thoughts appreciated.

Sam

·
Registered
126 Posts
This happened to me when my battery died - autobox wouldn't change and seemed to be stuck in 4th - just wouldn't move forward.
As soon as battery ok then normal service resumed and not had any probs since.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi
Electronic/ecu problems seem to be common on all modern vehicles if battery starts to fail.
Often the battery seems ok (eg it turns over ok on the starter) but still there are probs eg alarm goes off or there are random starting probs. Perhaps there are voltage fluctuations in older batteries? This could be the cause of your gearbox trouble. Worth having the battery tested and/or substituting a new battery.
G

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thoughts.

The battery was replaced about 4 weeks ago. I have 750cca battery in it.

There were no indications of this happening prior to today :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
As I've put in a few posts lately, modern batteries are weird and can turn the engine but not start it, can not turn the engine but headlights work perfectly whilst you try, can give "nothing" at all. (all due to the internal battery resistance)

Jump starts do not work when the battery is duff and the only way to check it is to remove one terminal and "jump" it directly to the cable.

A new battery isn't always the answer as I went through 3 new batteries.... ALL of which failed and the replacement works without a hitch.

BEFORE spending money, remove the battery..... remove the earthing cables from the chassis point...... with a wire brush (a "suede" brush from a shoeshop is ideal) clean the terminals, cable ends, ALL the nuts bolts and washers, especially the stud threads and around the base where the cable attaches to the bodywork.

its amazing how many driving, alarm and lights faults are cured by doing this....... and NOBODY does it when changeing the battery.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you honestly believe that a battery could cause this particular problem ?

The gearbox doesn't engage in any position, mind you I hadn't tried '4'.

Its already at the workshop, so I guess a scan can't be all bad anyways. I'll try the battery thing if you really believe it might be causing it.

Thanks once again guys,

I'll get back to you and let you know how I go.

Sam

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
lets be totally honest here.............

it probably isn't the battery BUT it COULD be......... all of the symptoms described COULD and SOMETIMES DO cause these faults.

The point is you can GUARANTEE its not an electrical fault based on the batter and its connections by LESS THAN 1 HOURs work..... in fact an EASY but awkward job.

It makes sense to eliminate something that causes a LOT of faults in vehicles AT ALMOST NO COST (except maybe a small metal brush)

Its a fiddly job thats rarely done (because its fiddly and seems too simple)... BUT it should be done if you change a battery or have ANY problem.

Let us know how it goes..... 5 recent posts have been "miraculously" cured by this simple process and NONE of them seemed to shout "battery" as a fault.

malcolm

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*** UPDATE ***

The computer was not seeing any codes, but after the mechanic spoke to this gearbox guy (who does for work for several MB dealers fown here) advised that the gearbox had gone to lunch and that it wouldn't back anytime soon.

Short answer, new gearbox required :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts