Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am baffled. I have a 1962 190D with fins. I also have three manuals: Clumer, Glens and the official MZB Service manual. All three books have a diagram showing my diesel injection unit. They all three show a cap on the top of the unit and indicate that the screw cap is a breather and oil filler. Two of the manuals indicate under the maintenance section the importance of checking and filling the injector uint oil. I took the cap off and the inside of the unit is pristine but looks dry. I looked through every page of all three manuals and none of them indicates what grade of oil to put in the injector pump or how much to add.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris[?]

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
My book says to just add the same as the engine oil you are now using.
Did the book tell you to open the bleeder screw a few turns,then fill until oil starts to come out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a bleeder screw on the injector pump which is used to bleed air out of the fuel system with the hand pump. I did that. I dont know of one that has to do with the oil. My manual really dosent say much about it beyond recommending adding oil if it is low. Which book do you have?

Chris

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think what you are referring to is the red breather cap at the top rear of the injection pump, not injectors (which are screwed into the cylinder head). This is also the fill plug for pump oil. On the side of the pump, opposite the engine, toward the bottom and rear is a check plug. I believe it takes a 15mm socket. You fill the pump with engine oil through the breather hole until it runs out of the check plug. Some diesel may run out, but filling with oil will purge it. Then install the check plug and breather cap. The pump is not filled any further than the level of the check plug. This oil level should be checked regularly as fuel can seep into the pump and must be drained so only oil is present.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
KCM is correct. The side bolt doesn't need to come all the way out. It has cross drilling in it to allow the fuel and oil to flow out after it is loosened a few turns. The bolt has a copper crush ring that seals it and does not need to be overly tightened. I change the oil in the pump at the same time I do an engine oil change. I loosen the side bolt, take off the red breather cap and pour oil in, about a cup or so watching the flow come out the side. Diesel comes out first and I watch for thicker clean motor oil to flow out. Then tighten the side bolt after the flow becomes a drip and install the cap. This is critical for pump health. I run Delo 15-40. Redline 15-40 diesel motor oil might be a good choice in there too.

-Dai

1 - 6 of 6 Posts