Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300SD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can ya'll help me out a tad here?

I'm out of town on business and won't be home for about 3 weeks. Wife called last night and said the 83 300SD smelled strongly like diesel. I had her pop the hood and describe to me what she saw. Going by what she told me, one of the injector return lines came loose. I told her to push it back on. She did. She just called me this afternoon and said the smell was back as was smoke. She popped the hood and said that so much fuel had shot out that it was running out of the hoodliner when she had it propped up. The injector line was again off.

Since she doesn't have a digital camera with her, and I'm going off memory from what I recall seeing, things are quite fuzzy.

Are these fuel injector return lines held on by a barb on the injector or are they held on by a hose clamp? Is this typical or just one of those oddities of having a car with 23 year old lines?

I do have new lines in the garage, but if possible I'd like to wait till I get home (3 weeks) and replace them myself.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 300 SD
17 Posts
I don't know about other peoples, but my are just held on by the male barbs on the injector. Mine does not have any hose clamps, or anything holding them on.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
no clamp..just barbs as stated above. If your wife is reasonably handy and it's not one of the more difficult lines I'd recomend you have her change it out. Might take a bit longer but it's not as though it's an impossible job by any measure.

Jonathan

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
Hi,

I concur with Jonathan, it's an easy job... and shouldn't be left alone if the car is driven. If the car is unneeded........

I'm trying to think if my wife would be able to do the job.. I'd say yes, with audio supervision via telephone. You know, tools & procedures etc.

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,056 Posts
Hose barbs is right- but you could always help them with a zip tie once it's on- then split one return lines will hold better until a full repair is done.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, thanks everyone. She was able to git r done with me just telling her what to do over the phone (unlike when I tell her to make me a sandwich ;) ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts