Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 unimog 421
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between the car engines and the unimog ones? Are the car engines flywheel and bell housing the same? I need to replace the engine in my 421, and would like to use a new turbo diesel from india. 92hp versus 60hp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thought I would never ever post at this forum as I had a really bad and sour experience here long time back at this BB, but at my good friend Coachgeo's insistence whom I could never refuse I decided to reply to your post.

I live in India and am among the few who own the Gurkha which comes with the OM 616 turbo. My question to you would be, the original IDI OM 616 turbo is only made in limited quantities as it uses expensive made in Germany pistons and sleeves as well as bearings and crank along with other parts. There is a new and inferior in house designed DI version which is what is commonly sold here now. Hopefully you got the IDI engine instead of DI. As for the flywheel, the original one uses standard 240D flywheel and you can use the 300D flywheel as well. Now you have to find out what flywheel is OEM in your MOG, my guess would be that since it has the regular 616 engine, it should be the same one, in that case it is good news for you.

If you need more info, mail me and I shall be glad to help out.

·
Registered
76 unimog 421
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a unimog truck with a 616 non turbo engine. I would like to replace it with a more powerful one. I found that the 616 turbocharged engines are available in India. I have free shipping from Australia to the island of Hawaii where I live. However I did not want to buy a engine that would not fit. If the flywheels are interchangeable I can re use the one I have. Thank you for telling me that the new engines may have some design problems.What model engin would you recomend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The DI engine or for that matter the IDI engine will fit your vehicle, they both are based on the original OM 616 so all you have to do in this case is use your existing original flywheel.

My subjective opinion is more of a sentimental issue, I feel that by converting the venerable OM 616 turbo to DI, they committed a huge sin as the engine gained appreciable noise over the IDI OM616 as well as it became quite rough, however it does have better low end torque than the IDI version and develops 3bhp more than the IDI. The DI version which is also known as TDI 2640 is bored out version of the OM 616, so it gets a displacement figure of 2.6liters as opposed to the OM 616's 2.4liters. The DI engine lasts over 300,00 miles in truly rough commercial conditions so I am sure it would fulfill your demands as well.

The point to ponder is that either the OM 616 IDI turbo nor the DI turbo is really sold outside as a separate engine, it comes with the vehicle and in case a spare is needed, the original one has to be returned. May I ask where you intend to get this engine from?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thinkkkk someone out there put a cummings 4bt (which is actually a CAT engine?) into a 416, or was a 406...grrr I cant remember. In a google search to back my memory up (which failed) I did run across a mention of a 6bt in a Mog. Soooo... you might want to look into this. Espcially since my memory seems to be it matched up to the Tranny easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
minimog,

As far as to my knowledge, BTL India does not sell te engine on its' own, you have to get it with the Gurkha or Judo.

·
Registered
2004 Bajaj Tempo Traveller
5 Posts
2004 BTTraveller

minimog,

As far as to my knowledge, BTL India does not sell te engine on its' own, you have to get it with the Gurkha or Judo.
Hi

Greetings from TN, India,

Due to family reasons I presently possess a 2004 Bajaj Tempo Traveller 3050 WB and in the process of restoring it after a year of idling. Looking forward to technical guidance for the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts