Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '93 600SL. Car is (was) perfect. I put it in for a service (basically just an oil and filter change) so that it can start of its new life being pampered. Fine, the guy tells me it's a great car, but what he'd like to do is change the "leads". He says they are still the originals and over time they corode and if anything is likely to cause it to break down this is it. He says the parts will be around $350. Anyway, to cut a long story short in order to change the leads he needs to take off the manifold (pardon my ignorance I am not a mechanic) and when they put it all back together and take it for a test run the car has no power. I drove it and it feels as slow as my old 300SL-24. It idles on 12 cylinders but when you put your foot down, it feels like it only runs on 6. They hooked it up to the computer and it all checks ok. They tried changing the accelerator module to see if that was the problem (even at $2000 for the part I was kind of hoping that was it) but it was okay. They grabbed one off another 600. The mechanic then tells me that in fact they put the car back according to factory specs but he claims the car has had its wires cut and it has been re-wired! I think this is BS to cover up for their mistakes. Anyway, can anyone suggest any options? They have had the car now for 5 days and can't fix it. I was thinking of giving them 1 more day and then getting it taken to a Mercedes dealer. It may cost me a bomb, but at least it will be fixed!

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Don't Wait ! !

It used to run great ..,. now it doesn't ? What the heck are you waiting for ? Get the damn thing outta there on a flat bed before the moron screws up something else. And if you put a location on your profile, someone on the board can likely give you the name or a reputable shop for proper repair.
Then, write the moron a letter- or have your attorney do it- and demand reimbursement, file a small claims action or report him to the BBB and AG's consumer frauds division.
Unless you're used to getting kissed first - -for what you spent for that beautiful automobile, get it out of there - - -the sooner the better !
CQRT in AZ

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Don't Wait ! !

It used to run great ..,. now it doesn't ? What the heck are you waiting for ? Get the damn thing outta there on a flat bed before the moron screws up something else. And if you put a location on your profile, someone on the board can likely give you the name or a reputable shop for proper repair.
Then, write the moron a letter- or have your attorney do it- and demand reimbursement, file a small claims action or report him to the BBB and AG's consumer frauds division.
Unless you're used to getting kissed first - -for what you spent for that beautiful automobile, get it out of there - - -the sooner the better !
CQRT in AZ
Thanks - but I'm not actually located in the US, so not much point I guess. Thing is, the engine is in pieces at the moment. I'd rather they put it together at least before I go pick it up. Also, if they want to be difficult, my attorney says they have a lien over the car until I pay the bill.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Simple answer---whatever he did while changing the leads, caused your problem, if that's all he did.
The fact that he filed a mechanics lean against you, he assumes that you are not going to pay for the car.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was finally fixed. The problem was traced to a blocked catalytic converter. Hard to say where the fault lies but I have to admit that it is quicker than when I took it to them.

I live in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
ML 320 2000
332 Posts
I had the same problem here, with my BMW 540iA,
and the problem of few power was a simple blocked catalytic converter....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts