Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 600 SEL Anthracite Grey Metallic - 04 Mitsu Galant GTS 3.8 V6 - 04 Audi A4 1.8 Quattro
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1992 600SEL with 176000 miles that's giving me some problems.
there is a rattling noise comming from the front right side whenever i am going over bumps. i took it to a specialized mercedes shop in Manchester, NH called Precision Imports and they said that i my front shocks need to be replaced.
i though since it has SLS only in the back that i will be in for something like $400, however, the mechanics said that because i have ADS that my car is equiped with special electrique shocks (said the design is much different than regular shocks that other w140 have) and that it will cost $2,500 to replace them.
more precisely, there is no way you can get them except from the dealer and they go for $960 each plus there is the harness that i also need to change.
The ride quality in my car is not the greatest even though in the last year i spent in exess of $18,000 trying to bring it up to shape.
that includes a transmission rebuild for 4k, rear shocks, accumulators, ball joints, water pump (not because it failed but the dealer said it will fail very soon), all sorts of sensors, wipers relays, sway bar links, oil pan, EGR intake manigold, all brake pads and disks(the brakes squeak, dealer said that i don't drive much, needs to put at least 2000 miles on brakes to stop squeaking), and the list goes on and on and on.
anyways, going back to my original question, i wanna know it what the mechanics told me is true about the electrique shocks and probably why would the ride still be crappy after changing many parts in the suspension.
All w140 owners are invited to this threat by the way.
if anybody want to know more about my experience with the 600SEL, feel free to ask because i have a long one.
thank you so much

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
I have 1992 600SEL with 176000 miles that's giving me some problems.
there is a rattling noise comming from the front right side whenever i am going over bumps. i took it to a specialized mercedes shop in Manchester, NH called Precision Imports and they said that i my front shocks need to be replaced.
i though since it has SLS only in the back that i will be in for something like $400, however, the mechanics said that because i have ADS that my car is equiped with special electrique shocks (said the design is much different than regular shocks that other w140 have) and that it will cost $2,500 to replace them.
more precisely, there is no way you can get them except from the dealer and they go for $960 each plus there is the harness that i also need to change.
The ride quality in my car is not the greatest even though in the last year i spent in exess of $18,000 trying to bring it up to shape.
that includes a transmission rebuild for 4k, rear shocks, accumulators, ball joints, water pump (not because it failed but the dealer said it will fail very soon), all sorts of sensors, wipers relays, sway bar links, oil pan, EGR intake manigold, all brake pads and disks(the brakes squeak, dealer said that i don't drive much, needs to put at least 2000 miles on brakes to stop squeaking), and the list goes on and on and on.
anyways, going back to my original question, i wanna know it what the mechanics told me is true about the electrique shocks and probably why would the ride still be crappy after changing many parts in the suspension.
All w140 owners are invited to this threat by the way.
if anybody want to know more about my experience with the 600SEL, feel free to ask because i have a long one.
thank you so much
bring the car to the AutoMall service - Norwood, Mass and I ll have the guys there look at it, they will charge you much more reasonable numbers. something that goes along with the KBB value of your car of 9K...

·
Registered
92 600 SEL Anthracite Grey Metallic - 04 Mitsu Galant GTS 3.8 V6 - 04 Audi A4 1.8 Quattro
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BAYHAS for you quick reply and your suggestion.
I went to the website of the place you refered to and it looked quite professional and quite appealing that they work on even fancier cars. i will let you know when i ready to make , most likely on a saturday by end of may or beginning of june.
You also seem to know a lot about the 140 as i've been reading your thread for about a couple of years along with other talented individuals in this forum and that's what keeps it going.
however, after reading most threads i have never come accross anything such as front electrique shocks. i don't know if that is true or not but i guess that somebody would have had the same problem at some point in time or probably my car is unique, which i highly doubt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a pair of the front electric shocks for a W140 with ADS and SLS. This is a perfectly functional pair of shocks with no issues. Will sell for $600 for the pair plus shipping. Please reply by email or PM

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
If you look on a copy of EPC.or get a forum member to do it for you.. You will know if your car has special shocks..I must say I have never heard of them but...I am constantly surprised by things I dont know...

·
Registered
S600 C140; 200E W123; 200D w124
67 Posts
"however, after reading most threads i have never come accross anything such as front

This is an old thread but I think it deserves a conclusion...

In short: yes, you have special front shocks. Take a look at the link below, that is a very informative article. I am sure it will clear up your q's.
Good luck.
FRay

"however, after reading most threads i have never come accross anything such as front electrique shocks."

From V12 Uber Alles: (http://www.v12uberalles.com/Adaptive_Damping_System.htm)

"The suspension system consists of two shock absorbers in the front of the car, and two hydraulic struts in the rear of the car. Let's first go over the front shocks. The front absorbers are the traditional type we are all familiar with. They are oil-filled, and self contained. There are no external oil feeds or ports to them. However, there is a major difference between these shocks and a traditional shock absorber. These shocks have a valve assembly built into the top of them. The assembly consists of two separate valves that are controlled by electrical solenoids. These valves limit the amount of oil that can flow within the shock. By restricting the flow, the level of damping is changed. The more the oil is restricted, the firmer the shock becomes. The less the oil is restricted, the softer the ride becomes. Each valve has two positions, and together they provide four different combinations of damping. Both valves open equals softest ride, and both valves closed equals firmest ride. A combination gives a setting somewhere between firmest and softest."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts